1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front fork dampening rod problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Igarashi, May 4, 2007.

1. Igarashi

Igarashi New Member

Hi guys, I just ran in to a pretty big problem.

I was taking off the forks, and taking them apart to replace the fork seals. That was at about 9am this morning. I looked on this website and saw the post here:

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=7 ... rt=15.html

which advised to use a wooden dowel to hold the damper rod in place while you turn the bottom hex screw.

Well, I did that, and the dowel broke apart. So now I've got a peice of wood jammed in the fork. I tried pulling it out with pliers, it just splintered. I tried looping a noose around it and then pulling... I really thought I was getting close, but the thing broke again from the pulling. Now it's shorter and really hard to get to.

I've been trying to get the **** thing out all day. Any ideas?

On that note... anyone have a left front fork for an 82 XJ 650 they'd be willing to sell? I'll pay a lot at this point, I'm desparate.... :cry:

2. ridz

ridz Member

first thing dont panic! second step away till your calm..

Now how deep is it?..Hmm I can still see it ....Why not try fixing a sixteen penny nailor lonnnnnnng eye bolt to some thing long. Try to drive this implement in to or screw in to handle ever so gently and pulling it out...Or get a pvc pipe and hammer it down over the handle then if your lucky the pipe will stick as it did on thre damper and pull the wood out...no..ok how about pvc pipe back down the shoot as a guide for a long sharpend rod of some sort ...drive it into the wood handle and walah...hope my friend and determination will be your friends..hope this helps..I for the life of me cant see how the broom stick could be stuck down there. any wayz I guess anything is possible...Good luck and I hope this helps Ridz

3. flashsnapshot

flashsnapshot Member

I have no answers at this point but I had a old man tell me once " if it looks real hard take a step back and look again, there is always an easier way." I cannot tell you how many times I have repeated those words of advice in my own ear. he told me that 30 + years ago. Let us know how you figured it out.

4. ridz

ridz Member

Hello, just curious about your situation...How you coming alond td? :wink:

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The easiest way to get that wooden dowel out of there is to stuff the tube with some really hungry Termites, cover the end and leave it in a dark, moist place for three to five months.

Or,

Drill it out a little bit with a ~~> sharp, new, wood bit drill like the Cable TV Guy has ... then, smear the threads on some threaded rod with ~~> ELMERS Wood Glue ... then, screw the rod into the drilled-out hole and let the Glue set-up for a few hours (or overnight) ... then, screw-on a big, fat-ass washer on the rod and a nut after that and ...

here's where you'd have choises ...

turn the nut and let torque on the rod eventually dislodge the thing.

grab the rod with some ViceGrips and smack the ViceGrips with a Ball Peen Hammer ... and let the sudden Impact dislodge the wooden object. (My pick)

Or, bring it in to the dealer and show the parts guy and see if he can look-up the part number for the special wooden damper. He'll take it out looking to see if there's enough of a part number left on it to order you a new one.

6. Igarashi

Igarashi New Member

Wellp, I got it. It took forever, but in the end, I just rammed a metal bolt in and splintered the thing away enough to grap the damper rod. Then I could unscrew the bottom allen bolt, and take out the damper rod which was full of wood. I cleaned it all out.

Then, having almost forgotten what I was trying to do in the first place, I replaced the fork seal, then put the fork back together.

I haven't ridden it, but just jumping on it in the garage is not reassuring. It doesn't seem to hold the air, and the front suspension is really mushy. I'm not sure it ever did hold air pressure in the forks however. Would moving up to a 20w fork oil help that? But really it doesn't seem like damping is the problem, it's just that as soon as I sit on it, it sags. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. I was planning on going on the bike to Philly tomorrow but that might have to wait.

7. ridz

ridz Member

mushy dont sound good..did you measure your spring to see if it was still usable? also dont put to much air in your forks, as you will just blow the seals again..Im not sure if you have the preload in that style of bike...But I got some good info on the metal tube thats in above your spring it can be modified to give you a stiffer ride..well Ill wait to see if you post again then we will get in to that....ridz 8)

8. Igarashi

Igarashi New Member

Wellp, I got it working well enough.

I tried buying 15w fork oil and put that in, but it seemed to make no perceptible difference. The problem wasn't damping, it was that as soon as I got on the bike, it sagged 2 or 3 inches. I'm not a particulatly heavy guy (145 or so) and I don't think it used to do that before the incident with the dowel :)

So I got a PVC pipe and made a 3" spacer. Well, one for each shock. It was pretty tough getting them in there and getting that ring-clip on the top, but I managed. The sag is gone. The suspension still isn't quite where I'd want it, but I can live with it for now. Maybe I'll buy a new spring for it at some point.

Actually the reason I was working on my bike non-stop the last few days is that I am starting a cross-country trip tomorrow. (well it was supposed to start this morning :)

Mostly I'll be camping, but I have friends scattered about the country so I can check the internet once in a while. Maybe I'll post here about how the XJ 650 is doing.

Thanks for all your help, some people messaged me with offers of help and stuff, thanks a lot guys. I hope you have as much fun on your bikes as I plan on having!

9. ridz

ridz Member

That is what I was refering to when I said preload.."spacer"...you can make them a little longer or go with progressive springs ...Well have a safe trip..Ridz Safe!Ridz 8)

P.S hope you put some washers on the bottom to protect the pipe..Its called a seat for the pipe so it dont get mashed up..just an after thought

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

Offer still stands if you get out this way. PM me for my number.