1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

front shock swap for an '82 xj650 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by FairHB, Jan 5, 2006.

1. FairHB

FairHB New Member

I am considering swaping the front shocks on my xj650 so that I can have dual calipers for better braking. I have done some investigation and found that the U.K. version (or xj650r), had this.

Has anyone done this or know if this is possible? I have also noticed that xj750s had similar shocks and these are sold on e-bay occasionally as well. I realize in doing this swap, I would have to change out the current master cylinder and brake line, but I have been unable to find out whether the dimensions are the same or whether the triple clamp assembly would need to be replaced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

Yamaha is know as a parts bin company which is good meaning that tons of parts from many different Yamaha bikes are interchangeable. Don’t take my word for this but I am pretty sure all XJ650 Seca had the dual caliper set up and should be an easy swap. But I do recall reading some where that the Maxim and the Seca had different rake angles so I don’t know if this would result in a different length of the front forks. But if you do the swap for dual disc front fork you will have to get a Dual Disc Master cylinder I believe.

Partsnmore.com sells the original Dual Disc mater cylinder assembly for the XS1100 for $76. Which will swap on your bike if you go for the dual disc set up. This Mater cylinder will give you sick stopping power.

https://www.partsnmore.com

Dual Disc Master Cylinder Assembly. Yamaha Style - Alloy body Master Cylinder Assembly with Lever, Banjo Bolt, Banjo Bolt Washers and Brake Switch. High Quality , Low Profile Design featuring 16mm cylinder with 10 x 1.25 threaded outlet. Fits 7/8 inch Handlebars, Accepts Yamaha Style Left Handed Thread Mirrors.

3. singingotter

singingotter Member

Go with the 1982 XJ750 front forks with dual discs and the air adjustable suspension. I did this to my 1981 XJ650H and it is great! I paid less than $100 for the forks, calipers & reservoir, and discs. Make sure you get the right part #'s for the discs. DAMHIKT. Be prepared for more stopping power, which is even more pronounced after the addition of SS braided brake hoses.

If you can get the whole set up off of a single bike, it would be easiest. I sold all of my old parts and actually ended up with money in my pocket. Gotta love free upgrades!

Later

4. FairHB

FairHB New Member

Thanks CTSommers and singingotter for the recommendations. I figured it would be pretty straightforward, but wanted to hear from someone who had done something similar.

I like the idea of upgrading and selling the old parts. Singingotter where did you find your parts (forks, reservoir, calipers, and discs) for less than $100 dollars? I was also interested in upgrading to stainless steel brake lines. Were you able to find a kit, or did you buy the parts piece meal?

Thanks again!

5. singingotter

singingotter Member

All of the parts came from ebay over a period of 6 months. Noone was bidding on them, so at the last minute I did. The brakelines are piecemeal.

6. snypr

snypr New Member

7. singingotter

singingotter Member

I think you're on to something...check to see that the lower triple-tree has the same part #. The upper will be different because of the indicator groves for the air adjustment. Be be prepared to buy all new seals.