1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel coming out of driveshaft seal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 82lefrois, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 82lefrois

82lefrois New Member

I have a 82 XJ750, it starts fine but when I rev the motor I'm getting fuel comming out the seal on the drive shaft,,, what the hell , how is fuel getting into that part of the of the motor and getting pushed out the driveshaft seal.....

Need input please

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

It's not coming out of the drive shaft seal. It's draining out the bottom of the air box and landing there.

You have a float problem. Oil is probably full of gasoline too.

3. Hamster

Hamster Member

Just seconding MiCarl here. I bought my 83 750 Maxim with fuel "apparently" coming out of the drive shaft boot. It was not. It was coming from a drain hose from the airbox due to crud in a float needle seat in one carb. The crankcase and airbox were full of fuel. Sort the carbs. Change oil/filter and air filter. Install an inline fuel filter. Pull your crankcase filler cap and take a whiff. Bet it stinks like gas.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Do not start the bike again until you have fixed the problem. If there is gas in the crankcase, you can end up needing a rebuild of the bottom end and transmission; or even get a big boom.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

As Fitz would say - it's the twin problem of faulty float/needle/seats, AND a petcock that isn't closing, functioning correctly.

Gasoline could compromise the glue on a Fram filter (oil)
    You may need to rinse the oil out of your air filter, if it got wet, with gasoline, then make sure it's seal didn't get ruined, or get a new one.
    You got work to do.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yep that's exactly what I'd say.

You have a stuck float or floats; the petcock may or may not be contributing by "enabling" the problem, but you've got float issues.

If the air filter became saturated with gasoline/oil mixture, there's no way to effectively clean it; you'll need to replace it.

AFTER you service the carbs.