1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel level sensor question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by HeckticHaze, Mar 19, 2012.

1. HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze Member

I took my gas tank off to work on my valve shims. I noticed the fuel valve sensor wires where wet at the plug. The liquid was gas. It seems that it folllowed down the two wires from the outside sensor plate. There is no leakage around the sensor plate gasket. It seems the gas is leaking through the wire penatration. Is there anything I can do to seal this or do I need to replace the Unit. It was working last Fall.

2. Timmay

Timmay Member

@HeckticHaze

not to hijack your thread :)

But... my fuel sensor worked fine before I took my tank off, now that it's back on, I get no feedback in the gauge box ('82 "Atari Box").

I measured 5 volts at the female plug receptacle.

so, if you guys can help us both, cool!

3. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

For what it is worth my idiot light for low fuel quit years ago. My sender does not leak, but seeing I happened upon another one I decided to turn it into a plug. Get rid of that wire alltogether and have just a little more fuel in my tank....I know hardly any...
    Here is how I did it. I hacksawed off the innards and the one screw on the outside. Pulling the other wire off left a small hole. I filled that with a nut and bolt and epoxy, covering other openings with glue also. (will cut off the bolt threads next) This should be bullet proof hopefully as any chance of a gas leak is very undesireable.

Attached Files:

4. Timmay

Timmay Member

I figured out my problem, it was a grounding issue. Had to take the tank off a couple times and move the wires on the sensor mount. It's back, and working great.