1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel Petcock Screen, Standpipe, or tank filter

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ElectronicCarpenter, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ElectronicCarpenter

ElectronicCarpenter New Member

I have had not had much success locating one of these items. I have come to the conclusion it is not worth the trouble anymore. I have found a work around see below..

The symptoms..
    81 xj maxim 650.
    First it sat for 2 years prior to me getting it.

I am riding down a straight away no stop signs for miles. I am doing about 60-65 mph and about 5k on the rpm. After a random time my bike seems to run out of fuel.

I have installed an inline performance fuel filter from autozone 9.99
    http://www.autozone.com in the search box part #2369 then click the fuel filter image.

I installed this filter because it is see through.

Problem fixed.. so I thought..
    A week later same issue...
    Looked at the filter it was completely empty as in no gas..
    I took apart the tank and looked at other images of a petcock and fast realized that I was missing a standpipe or tank filter. Ican't seem to find one.

Today. I took apart my tank and said I am going to make one. I have cleaned the tank out many times and realize that there must me something floating in the tank that is being sucked onto the petcock and not allowing gas to flow. Today when I drained the tank I found a small piece of rust large enough to block the petcock but not large enough to go down into the petcock. Very good reason for the issue of running out of gas with a full or nearly full tank.

:arrow: Here is the Workaround. ...
    My tank filter

that little inline filter I bought.. well it is exactly the size of the indent for the stock standpipe. I simply squeezed the round filter to fit an oval opening and it is very tight, but not so tight you have to force it.

It is not sealed at the top... This will not allow you to eliminate the inline filter. However, It is tall enough that I do not imagine that any floaters in the tank will be able to completely block off the petcock again.
    :D

I also removed the rust chunk.. and we will see what happens.

The down side to this.. the reserve feature of the standpipe is no longer available. the standpipe has 2 sections on the filter and the PRI will run out without draining the tank, the reserve will drain the tank. NOW both can drain the tank so don't run out of gas with the new girlfriend on the back:)

Good luck..

Oh.. I also replaced the fuel and vacuum lines just because they are so cheap.

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

If the gas cap is not letting in some air, this will give you exactly the symptoms you describe.

3. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Chacal (Len) has those filter screens that you are looking for . I've got a new one sitting in my shop from him.