1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel rail

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Fongdingo, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

So I put my carbs back together and when I put the fuel rails in it shaved off a bit of each ring. Is this normal? Are they bad now? Is it going to leak gas? Is there a proper way to put these in?

2. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Did you put some silicon grease/gel on before reinstalling them?

3. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

Yes I did

4. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

The same thing happened to me, each time it happened I just pulled each carb back off and replaced the buggered o-ring, then reset the carb a little more gently. Thankfully I bought far more o-rings than I needed. A little silicone and a LOT of patience and you'll get it.
    As for whether it will leak, if the o-ring is damaged maybe it will and maybe it won't, do you want to find a leak between #2-3 and have to remove two carbs to get to it? Just go back and replace them now.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, grease/oil, and a little bit more patience. You kind of have to feel the o-rings 'adjust' to the pressure as you push/wiggle them in. If you just shove em in, you'll have this problem.

I'd replace them while you still able to......otherwise, you're gonna be right back here soon..........after a lot of dirty words after everything is back together first.

dave

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Give the holes a little shine with some scotchbrite or steel wool, then make sure it's clean

7. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Oh yeah I forgot, I pushed a little NevRDull wadding in there and polished those holes up, too.