1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel tank installation! Petcock & Fuel lines!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Schidek, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Schidek

Schidek New Member

I had my XJ600 sitting with the tank off for almost a year. I had another bike and I went to sync the carbs. The Gas tank fell and put a huge dent in it. That was the moral killer! I left the bike like that for year. I sold my other bike and now I want to ride again. So my question is how to you hook up the fuel lines from the petcock? Or How do I put the gas tank back on so the fuel makes it to the carbs? I see 1 petcock with 2 nipples (Lack of better word) and 2 other nipples coming out the the tank. One looks like a drain. Help! When I pour gas into the carbs directly she starts right up then dies out from lack of fuel.

Thank you!

2. stevo

stevo Member

If it's like my 700, the nipple on the top of the petcock is for suction and connects to the carb manifold on my number 2(I think that it shouldnt matter which carb to put it on) and the bottom nipple should go straight to the carbs...make sure to install a filter.

3. switch263

switch263 Member

+1 to stevo's comments. On my 81 XJ750, the larger nipple on the petcock is hooked up to the carbs for fuel, and the smaller one connects to vacuum on one cylinder to allow the petcock to open when the engine is turning.

If theres other nipples on the tank, idk? sorry i can't be more help.

4. Maligant

Maligant New Member

Hi guys Uk guy here with an XJ 600 without it's fuel and vac lines on .where do they go ? I have a small bore pipe that comes from the front of the carbs and joins up, I have a larger bore pipe that runs from a union at the back of the carb, and I have two other pipes that are unions as well.
    I'm thinking that the small bore are the vac,the large bore is the fuel and the other two are breather/overflow..help?