1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

gas mileage

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by flashsnapshot, Apr 3, 2007.

1. flashsnapshot

flashsnapshot Member

I have an 82 750 maxim. I bought it last summer and have put 4k on it. It only had 14k original miles on it when I got it. I was wondering what the approximate mileage per gallon I should be gettting. I am getting 37mpg att. Is that low? If so, any ideas what I can check? Thanks for the help.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Do you ride it like an Accountant going to work in the morning ...

Or, ...

A Fighter Pilot just launched from a Carrier's Flight Deck?

3. geebake

geebake Member

I rarely do better than 35 with my 650 Seca. Doubt there's much difference between the 750 Maxim and the 650 Seca. I suspect you're in the ball park.

Greg

4. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

High 30's when having fun, low 40's riding at legal speeds.

I once got 52 mpg on my 650, but knew it was a long way from the next gas stop, so I went through that tank of fuel pooping along at 45 mph in 5th gear.

Your mileage will vary with how much you twist the right grip. :D

5. flashsnapshot

flashsnapshot Member

I ride like a bit of both, Open road, fighter pilot, town...accountant. How much difference will it make

6. flashsnapshot

flashsnapshot Member

i guess then the 37 is about common. I should just be thankful

7. Fraps

Fraps Member

I don't know what mileage I get - but I KNOW IT ISN'T GOOD!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Sorry folks - the moment took me...

8. beardking

beardking Member

flashsnapshot, think of it this way, no matter how bad the mileage is on your XJ, unless there is something REALLY wrong with it, you'll never get as bad of mileage as I get in my Dodge Ram Quadcab (12mpg, 14 on a good day).

9. geebake

geebake Member

Mileage on bikes has always perplexed me a little. Of my bikes. The Goldwing with its 700+ lbs and 1100ccs gets by far the best mileage. It regularly does 45 and I've had tanks go over 50.

I think the key is aero. At least at speed. Around town weight is probably more important.

My Harley, not surprisingly, is the worst. I rarely do better than 30. I tend to beat it pretty hard though, always hoping to find some Seca like performance in there. Amazing what a little technology will do for you.

10. samsr

samsr Member

I got 37 to 38 out of my 82 750 last year. I put a small windscreen on it an it picked up another 2. After adjusting the valves and setting the float levels. I dont know yet. I know I have been 47 miles and it still says 3/4 tank. Riding style would be the biggest factor in my book. Generally at 140 miles I am looking for a gas station, wheather I need it or not.

11. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

Gas Mileage is a funny thing. My Maxim 1100 used to get me 190 miles a tank when it had the airbox and stock exhaust. That was 40mpg. But a rejetting and removal of air box for seperate K&N's and Kerker 4 into 1 and it is really more dependant on how I drive, at best now it might make 38 on highway.
    But I'm averaging around 34, but my bike does a lot of running while sitting as I don't drive it all the time, but start and run it regularly. I advanced the pickup plate to see if this trick would improve mileage as it hugely did on my FJ1200. After I advanced the pickup on my FJ, that 1200 would actually get me 54mpg if I rode with elbows on knee's which was a perfect posture for my height on that bike. When not, it would do 51 around town. Before I advanced it, it got 41 so it picked up 10mpg on that bike, But the Maxim didn't improve from doing this change. It's mileage has stayed the same.

My Vmax gets 40mpg with Kerker pipe, I've kept the airbox and shimmed the (what they call the "Y") which is the top airbox feeder, and haven't changed any jetting just tuned it. I always find it interesting smaller bike engines don't seem to do any better on fuel mileage. I know the guys that went to full stage kits on their Vmax's the mpg really drops off.

I kind of think its common if you end up seeking changes for performance, you have to expect loosing some fuel economy which is something everyone should think of seriously if it's worth it to them, especially with gas prices now days.

12. carbineken

carbineken Member

I'm getting between 40 and 43 on my '82 650 Maxim. All it has is the K&N filter and I ride like a fighter pilot most of the time.

ck

13. flashsnapshot

flashsnapshot Member

I appreciate all the responses. It is great to have a site like this where I can go and even ask stupiid questions. Ha! Now to fix the warning light problem! Thanks again-

14. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

I have a trip computer on my EFI XJ750.
    It reads in Km / L.
    110Km/h 19 - 24 Km/L depending on conditions
    100Km/h cruse 22 - 24 Km/L
    50Km/h round town 5th gear 26 -30 Km/L
    70-80Km/h 27Km/l
    Average trip 20 Km/l

:)

15. flashsnapshot

flashsnapshot Member

sorry but I am metric illiterate???

16. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Hey:
    Flashsnapshot

Eastern Carolina's !!!

My favorite vacation land.
    Outer Banks - and - Myrtle Beach.

17. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

1litre = 0.2642 US gal

1 US gallon = 3.785 litres

1 km = 0.6214 miles

1 mile = 1.609 km

Miles Per Gallon (U.S.) Kilometer Per Liter MPG (U.K. gallons)
    5.00 2.12 6.01
    10.00 4.25 12.01
    15.00 6.37 18.02
    20.00 8.49 24.02
    25.00 10.62 30.03
    30.00 12.74 36.03
    35.00 14.86 42.04
    40.00 16.98 48.04
    45.00 19.11 54.05
    50.00 21.23 60.05

:)

18. flashsnapshot

flashsnapshot Member

I don't think I will ever get the metric system but htanks for the info... BTW rickomatic i am in the emerald isle topsail beach area. Great place to ride year round. "Flash"

19. Maximator

Maximator Member

I've been filling my XJ650 Maxim from jerry cans, so I don't know how many liters I'm using. I fill it till it touches the bottom of the filler pipe.

Tank before last I got 177km before I had to switch to reserve. Today I got 170km, but that included a 10km climb on a mountainside outside of LittleFort BC where I was opening the throttle quite a bit to burn out any carbon in the cylinders. Other than that climb it was driving the speed limit, not aggressive.

How does that compare to the distance other 650 owners get from a tank of fuel?

20. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

On my turbo I am getting around 46 mpg. If I can keep it off of the boost and put it into conserve mode I have gotten about 51 mpg. However if I am on boost it has dropped into the low 30's
    When I had my stock 550 when it was in cruise mode it was 54 mpg and my 550 race bike, in race mode was............... expensive!!!

Sean