1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas smell in oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Glen F., May 4, 2021.

1. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Well that's good news!

Franz likes this.
  2. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

no there is no timming involved in that, just an electrical pulse from the TCI unit. one wire of the coil is a ground(but is usually internally grounded to the metal you use to mount the coil)), and the other is the positive pulse wire. you have an inline spark tester? use it while its ideling and wear some rubber gloves, try to jiggle lightly on your re soldered wire and see if the spark skips/dissapears at all. if it does then yes i would replace it, if you dont see any change in visual spark, or engine has no adverse reaction to the wire being messed with, then your most likely ok. (my opinion)

these are cheap versions of the snap-on ones I use at work, but for your limited home use, should do the job..... note: the more you have laying around the better..:)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/90-in...MIxqvQgdTv8QIV42xvBB01LAh5EAQYASABEgIWt_D_BwE

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Franz and Glen F. like this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if your allergic to electricity test it with a ohm meter or continuity tester without the bike running
    these have floating grounds, the mounting bolts just mount it
    from that picture the gray wire isn't soldered peal the black stuff off and solder it
    that black goo is probably "liquid electrical tape" a big box hardware store should have it

Glen F. likes this.
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

One coil sparks cylinders 1 and 4 the other 2 and 3. So if you had a break in the wire to one coil only two cylinders on the working coil would have sparks at the plugs.

5. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Everything is good. Took the carbs out for the umteenth time, adjusted the way Hogfiddles does (or tried to). Put the tank on and she fired up right away! Thanks for everyone's help!!!!

Mechanic1978 and Franz like this.
  6. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Color tuned and synced today. No increase of rpms when I stop!!! Len was right!!!!

Franz likes this.
  7. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Thanks, posts 268, 272 and 284....

8. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Fired the bike up yesterday, and it sputtered and farted. Synced again after a short ride but still wasn't right. Felt underneath the carbs this morning, and there was gas on my hand from carb 2. Took them off again and all the intake boots had gas in them. Tank is off with no leaks. Changing the oil again soon. I did have one night when it was hard to get an idle with the choke off, but I think I shut the choke off too soon.

9. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Did a light test on the petcock. Lightly blew into the vacuum tube and nothing happened. Lightly sucked and gas comes out, so that works fine.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

As long as when you lightly sucked on the vacuum line, the gas flowed through the gas line, not back into your mouth from the vacuum line.......

Glen F. likes this.
  11. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

From the gas line. Nothing leaking there. Drained the oil and the last bit ran out very fast. Very watery.

12. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Took the carbs out and checked the float levels again. Levels just at 3mm. Changed the oil, and ran a sync and color tuned and synced again. Everything seemed to be fine. Took the bike out for a quick spin, and it struggled to stay running. Wound up pushing it the last block home because I couldn't get it started. My question is, if the battery is weak or not charging, could that be my problem? Vacuum is pulling gas to the spark plugs but not burning it off and then the gas just goes to the cylinders and into the oil? Going to put the battery on the charger later to see if that helps.

13. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You ran out of fuel.....

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Put a multimeter across your battery terminals once you get the bike started and check the voltage to see if alternator is charging the battery. I think it charges from about 2000 rpm.

Glen F. likes this.
  15. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

No, I had half a tank

16. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

13.44 after a short ride, and 14.65 with the bike running at 2500. Everything seems to be fine now, but I still have a climb in RPM's after the bike warms up. From 1100 to 2000 after about 15 minutes of riding