1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gear speeds

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hoffer1187, Aug 7, 2013.

1. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

What speeds are you guys in for gears? I'm in 5th by 35mph and it sounds like its topping out by ~50mph (my tach isn't working, working on that).

Where do I start on this?

As always, thanks!

2. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

If I understand what you're asking, 1st to start rolling, 2nd at 10 mph, 3rd at 45-50 mph, 4th - 60-65 mph, 5th - 75 mph+ cruising on level highway.

Sounds like you're lugging the engine to hell. You shouldn't be shifting so low, try to get to at least 6-7k or more before the next gear change (when it really starts screaming). Working tach would help.

3. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Oh HELL NO! I'm in 2nd at 35 mph1

4. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

I'm talking normal riding in traffic lol When I'm feeling frisky I run the first 'til redline.

5. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

However, I should add, if I'm just highway cruising (like around 65ish), I'll kick it up to 5th to save on some gas. then if i need some boost, i drop it down + twist the wrist.

6. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

That's my problem, it's not lugging in 5th at 35 or 4th at 25 for that matter when it for sure should be. This is my first bike but have been driving stick forever with and without a tach so I can hear when I should be shifting. What should my plan be to get my engine running where it should be?

7. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

I came from manual transmission cars for my whole driving life. When I first got my bike I was shifting at a low rpm as well. When you think the engine needs to be shifted (car mentality) you're still probably a good 5000 RPM's from when you need to shift. Trust me I know! I was shifting the same way on the bike when I got it. By 40 I was in 5th gear. Now at 40 I'm just shifting to 3rd.

Let her scream. It will take some getting used to because you've been driving a 4 wheeler :) Even still I don't shift at 8k.. Usually I shift at 5500. Still can't break that mental barrier LOL but I'm working on it!

8. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

Thanks, good to hear. I'll get that tach working and see where I'm really shifting. It's also hard for me to get rid of the low rumble sound of H-Ds. Being from Milwaukee I'm surrounded by them, not to say there isn't a strong base for other bikes.

9. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Really? That much?
    I guess I'm driving my XJ like my (now deceased) 1975 Scout.
    What is the science/ physics behind the higher RPM range and shifting on a bike that makes it different from a car/ truck?

10. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

The power band of the XJ I4 engine only starts waking up at 5,5-6k rpms or so. How is that for science?!

11. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Sektor, you're gonna have me riding like a demon tomorrow on the way to work LOL. I just now started shifting at 5500 and it's been REALLY fun to ride since doing that. I always feel so sketched to take it past 6k, I feel like it's gonna blow up lol. Not really sure how I feel about pushing a 30 year old engine too far. I guess a couple times can't hurt, but then I'm gonna be addicted to the speed/sound/feeling, etc.... :)

Whatya mean by powerband?

As far as science I have no idea, but my wrangler does not got past 3k RPM. If I take it any higher, I feel like it's gonna BLOW lol. A bike isnt even getting started at 3k RPM. You'd really be lagging the engine shifting that low (what I did when I first got the bike)

12. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Below is a dyno sheet for a stock XJ750.

Notice that the HP line (top) only really starts climbing at 5,5k rpms. Top torque is roughly at 6k rpms so the engine powerband is from 6-9k rpms. XJ650 engine a slightly lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_band

Attached Files:

13. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Interesting man! In that graphic it looks like top torque is at 7500 RPM or am I reading that wrong?

So it really starts to get its HP past 5500 RPM? Man tomorrow's ride is gonna be fun! Ok now how bout cruising with traffic at say 45mph... do you keep the RPM's high or shift up to get to a nice quiet cruising speed around 3500RPM??

I always feel weird riding at 45 in third for miles at a time..

14. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Yeah, top torque is at 7,5 rpms, but is fluctuating from 6-7,5k, so 5,5-6k is a good starting point to prepare to hang on the handlebars 8O

Cruising, you want to keep the engine near the power band range, in case you need to swerve and avoid a obstacle or accelerate out of a danger zone. 4-5k works for me in third, maybe 4th gear.

15. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

16. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Awesome, that's good to know! I like the "hang onto the handlebars" feeling :)

17. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

That sounds FUN! I feel like the engine is gonna explode with that high an RPM lol. I'll have to get past that mentally and just peg it. I'll need to find a straightaway I can actually do that on though.

I tested 0-60 a few times at stoplights when I was in front. Seemed to take a while, but that's cuz I was shifting at 5500!!

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Normal ride alone on road, 3-5, shift up, back to5/5.5 shift .....once I'm as fast as I want, 5th.
    Why ride 45 in 2nd or 3rd gear ? Lately I've been taking it down to 1700 in 3rd in trafic, you can feel each cylinder fire
    Got other bikes if I want to go fast

19. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

According to the Yamaha EGA manual, "cruise" is 5000 rpm for an XJ.

20. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

When you first joined and I saw that your location was Erie, I thought "Great! Someone to hang with." Then I realized it was Colorado and not Pennsylvania. That's a bit farther than 15 miles.