1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

General carburator question

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by clhannah, Jun 27, 2009.

1. clhannah

clhannah Member

Hey guys --
    The sweetie's learner bike is a 150 scooter based on the GY6 with a Keihin style CV carb.

pics here
    http://www.scooterfocus.com/scooter_car ... tment.html

The second pic shows a vent pipe pointing down, just to the left of the automatic choke. This is where fuel is pouring out.

A: the vacuum petcock works
    B: good strong spark
    C: if I drain the carb and disco the petcock, I can eventually get the engine to run. It staggers and smokes, then runs clean until dry.
    D: if I reconnect the fuel it pours out the vent and the engine stalls.

Q: is this a stuck float valve?

Thanks!

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have already proved that.
    Tap ... LIGHTLY <--- on the Fuel Bowl with the Butt-end of a Hammer or the Plastic Handle of a Screwdriver.

3. clhannah

clhannah Member

Rick U are awesome!

4. clhannah

clhannah Member

It only took a coupla hours to strip the plastics, pull the carb, pop the bowl, and get it all back together again. Very sweet.

The float valve core piece was a silver metal, whereas the body was brass. The core had some corrosion -- black pitting, as well as a white crystalline build-up. It was the latter causing it to get stuck, and it cleaned up with a nail board. I am hoping the crystal deposits were a matter of poor storage and will not recur.

Thanks again! The sooner she gets confident on the scooter, the sooner she can transfer to her xj550!