1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Going away for 7 months, what should I do with my bike?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by day7a1, Jun 20, 2010.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I am deploying soon and will not be back until next year. I live in Southern California on the beach (lots of salt), and have a wife and friends that will be staying behind and be able to take care of all my stuff.

I'm uncertain as to what to do with my bike. I can think of a couple of options.

1. Completely winterize in accordance with this forum post.

2. Have it started every week, and maybe ridden every once in a while along with the basic maintenance. (My wife's dad is a mechanic, she knows a lot more than most wives do.) I will be able to communicate on a regular basis.

What would you do? Any other ideas? Any other info you would like to know?

2. yamaman

yamaman Member

Personally, I would run the bowl dry and empty the tank. That's it.

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Sta-bil in fuel. Take for a quick ride to make sure it gets into carbs. Top tank off when you park it.

New oil.

Fogging oil in cylinders and cranked briefly to distribute it (plugs out and TCI disconnected). Fogging oil on plugs before you reinstall.

Tires at half pressure and up on center stand so they have minimal weight on them. You can support under the engine with something to get 100% of the weight off.

Lube cables.

Wax everything that gets waxed. WD-40 on everything that can rust.

Remove battery, top off with distilled water if it's low and put it on the maintainer.

Old cotton sheet over it to keep the dirt off.

When you get home remove sheet, air tires, install battery. Set fuel cock on "PRI" for 60 seconds and fire her up. Ride like stolen.

Thanks for serving.

4. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Never heard of fogging oil....what is it?

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Fogging Oil

Basically it's a spray can of oil that causes it to mist and/or foam. That misting and foaming helps ensure it covers the entire surface.

Ideally you spray it in through the carburetor until it stalls the engine. Hard to do that with multiple carburetor engines. I just shoot it through the plug holes.

I buy it at the marine supply place. Might be a bit harder to find in places where you don't (normally) have to store your warm weather toys for six months.

6. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

want me to keep an eye on your bike for you? Bring it out here to NC and I'll take care of it.

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Don't drain the tank out. Just pour the correct amount of Seafoam in the tank and ride it long enough to get it running thru the carbs. Shut off the petcock and your good to go.
    Also, you don't need to remove the battery. Just top it of with distilled water and plug in a maintainer. Put the bike up on the center stand and jack up the front wheel off the floor to prevent weight on the front tire and forks. Throw an old bed sheet over it (if stored inside) or get your self a good bike cover if your leaving it outside and tie it on good.

8. davstarks

davstarks Member

Take it with you

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'd find a good place indoors, leaving it out in S.D. is asking for trouble. I've seen far too many nice bikes down there turn into basket cases because of exposure. Just take a ride by the deployment parking down on 32nd or N.I. to get any motivation you might need.

10. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I wish! There's really nowhere to put it where I'm going, though. If I can find a Yama dealer in Bahrain and ship an XJR1300 over here, I won't care how it gets stored.

Robert....so if it is inside, what kinds of preparations should I make then? I might be able to borrow someone's garage. After all, they won't be needing it.