1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Goldwing mufflers on 750 Seca?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by sevesteen, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

Between my daily driver and 2 parts Secas, I have one muffler that doesn't have more holes than it should. I've been trying to find something that would let me keep the collector--from what I understand my choices are old Seca mufflers or a new complete 4 into 2 or 4 into 1 exhaust.

I just bought a beautiful 78 GL1000 Goldwing that came with an unexpected GL1100 parts bike. I realized that the stock GL1100 mufflers have a similar bend, and the tailpipe could be cut to give a similar length to the Seca-or maybe left alone, since my Seca is a bagger. There's a crossover that would have to be plugged, the bracket on the Goldwing is in a very similar place, and wide enough that I'm pretty sure the most that would be needed is another hole. [​IMG]

Below is the best of my Seca mufflers. It looks to me that at most I'd need something to match diameters. Is there anything obviously bad about this idea that I'm not seeing? (other than looks, that is...)

2. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Looks like a good idea.

I don't know if it will be a concern, but the Goldwing muffler doesn't seem tapered at all from front to back, so the diameter of the front half of the muffler has to be larger than the one from the Seca.

Also, I suppose you don't expect something loud, because Goldwing mufflers are pretty quiet (personnally, I like their sound).

If there's room for the crossover, i'd let it as is. I don't think that would have any negative effect on performance.

3. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

I'm a little concerned about center stand clearance. There's a cutout for the stand in the GL muffler, don't know if it will let the Seca stand fit. .
    I'm not a "loud pipes save lives" believer. If people notice me, I'd rather it wasn't in annoyance.

I'm not sure how the physics of crossovers work--It appears to be the type of thing that done randomly would be more likely to hurt (slightly) than help.

I got the GL exhaust off today--unfortunately i'ts all welded except the crossover pipe's connection to the other crossover, so I can't just pry it apart to see if it will work. I'll probably make a halfhearted attempt to sell the GL exhaust (apparently people will buy them in this condition) before I take a saw to it.