1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Good/Fast/Cheap Fuse Box Upgrade

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RickB, Dec 28, 2012.

1. RickB

RickB Member

Used 4 Posi-Lock fuse holders; no crimping, no soldering. They were $3 a piece and appear to be very well made items. I read about them (and bought them) here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. livingdeadlyxj650

livingdeadlyxj650 Member

Brilliant! Im ordering some stat. Thanks for the heads up!

3. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Count me in. Never wanted to have to shave parts of my seat to make room for a new, taller box anyway.

4. xjazz

xjazz Member

Nice solution, thanks for the tip. I'm gonna do the same.

5. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

I don't trust stuff like that. I solder everything.

Dan, why would you need to shave the seat? I didn't have to do anything at all on the 750 and I had to modify the tray that holds the fusebox on the 550, but I did not touch ether seat.

6. RickB

RickB Member

Stuff like what? These are a better mouse trap; look into them and you may change your mind. And although you may solder everything, many don't, and with these you don't need to.

7. ColoradoDan

Hey JP, When I looked into it, I read Chacal's description "some care must be taken as to positioning to make sure that the bottom of the seat pan does not contact the top of clear cover of the fuseblock"

And read some post where someone did it and said they cut a little of the underside of the seat out to make it fit.

It's not been high on my list of replacements so that's as much research as I did. Good to know you did it without shaving plastic. I'd rather not have to.

Also my dad was a career electrician and working summers with him kept me in gas money as a teen. Even in the early 80s there were plenty of reliable crimp products we used. And I saw lots of really shoddy solder work that we had to redo.

8. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not exactly objective... The main wire to the alternator on my wife's van popped out of it's crimp just yesterday. :D

9. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

didn't have to cut anything on the 81 seca or the 82 max when I did mine. Just play around test fitting the seat to make sure your in the right spot.

10. TASxj

TASxj New Member

Crimp, Solder & heat shrink. Takes longer but its not going anywhere.

11. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I can't tell from their website, but does the Posi-Lock grip the insulation too?

One of the benefits of your stock, F-type open barrel crimp connectors is that it crimps the wire for an electrical connection, and the insulation for a mechanical connection. Cyclic loading on a strand of copper wire can actually fatigue and break it, which is why you want the insulation to soak up any mechanical stresses.

This is also the point of heat shrink (in addition to insulation) of a solder connection.

I personally love F-type open terminal crimping ever since I learned how to do it right. Although I will admit that it takes a larger initial investment.

12. ColoradoDan

Maverick, was this Chacal's or from an AP store?

Manbot, good question - we should hear from RickB soon I hope.

Watching the video on the other connectors, I could tell it's only a bare wire connection that locks together, so not really watertight or for longevity like you mentioned.

13. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Well considering that none of the connectors are weather-proofed from the factory means that these aren't any worse in the corrosion-department. However dielectric grease would likely go a long way. And the company does make weather-proofed connectors.

I've also mounted the fuse box from chacal without seat modifications, although I had to modify the holder on my Turbo seca (although I could have bolted it to the air box) and had to drill a new hole in the air filter cover of my 750 seca.

14. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

I used Chacal's 6 slot boxes on both of mine. Did a radian with one from a AP store (same thing as Chacal's) again with no modification to the seat.

15. ColoradoDan

Thanks both, for info about your boxes!

16. RickB

RickB Member

Good question. Based on the installation instructions and the design of the locks themselves, believe they do in fact grip the insulation as well.

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i've used those connectors before their kind of big and klunky but they work well and their easy to use. i have them on my battery tender so the cord is nice and long

18. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Installed New 6 circuit fuse box (Len) w/o any modifications to seat pan.

Gary