1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Half or Full helmet?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DanP, Jun 19, 2007.

1. DanP

DanP Member

Just wondering what everyone's wearing these days. I've got a full helmet but I think it doesn't suit my 650. Looking to get this one.

[​IMG]

2. tonyp12

tonyp12 Member

IMHO - Stay with the helmet that will give you the most protection, that's what we wear helmets for right?
    Full face.
    8)

3. mainexj550

mainexj550 Member

I wear a full face helmet. I was reading somewhere recently that the highest percent of impacts on a helmet are the chin area.

4. schmidtap

schmidtap Member

I have both, depending on what your doing, only you can decide what is best, I like them both, for local constenly taking off and putting on the half is better for me, if I go far long riding, I would take the full, plus the heat in GA sucks in the summer, and the half is nicer for me. like i said it's all up to you.

5. DanP

DanP Member

6. Jim_Vess

Jim_Vess Member

I always wear a full-face. The designs today vent well enough that I never have a problem with heat.

My old full-face Shoei RF-900 saved my face a few years ago when a dingbat decided she wanted my lane while i was in it. The face shield and chinbar were scraped up pretty bad. I replaced that helmet with a full-face Shoei Z-II.

7. XJturbo

XJturbo Member

Although I wasn't riding a motorcycle, my full-faced helmet saved my head when I was riding my 4-wheeler a couple years ago. I was scooting along at a good pace down a well beaten trail beside some railroad tracks, when my left front wheel went out of the ruts and struck a old pipe that used to be a gas line marker.....it caught between the wheel and bumper right on the A-arm and I went from 35mph to a dead stop instantly, the quad flipped upside down and landed on top of me and my helmet 8O ......If it wasn't full-faced, I probably wouldn't be typing here right now! I had to wait for my buddy to come get the quad off me, because my helmet and I were pinned underneath :( .....it sucked. I'd stay with a full-face helmet :wink:

8. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

Nothing like a June bug in the nose (@90 mph) to make you wish you had a full face helmet on.

9. 82XJ

82XJ Member

A half-helmet is better than nothing, but not by a whole lot. First of all, look at DanP's little diagram and add up the percentages for the zones that would be covered by a half helmet. (Great chart, btw, Dan.)

Got it?

That's 38.6%, in case you didn't actually do the math. That means that in an accident, there's a better than 60% chance that you're going to take a hit to the bare skull. Like I said, better than nothing, but I wouldn't trust my life to it...

Even more, consider that fact that the half helmet provides no protection whatsoever to the most important part of the brain (the stem). A fracture at the base of the skull is almost invariably life-threatening.

10. DanP

DanP Member

Yeah, pretty scary stuff.

11. Alive

Alive Active Member

I'm with the rest of you... Full Face :)

12. XJoregonian

XJoregonian Member

I use a modular. I like it just because I can take it on and off without taking off my glasses. Kind of a good work-between in my opinion. I can stop for a coke and not have to take my helmet off to drink it. Just MHO. 8)

13. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You don't think the Full Face suits your 650?

If the crap ever hits the fan ... your 650 ain't the one needing the protection.

When you hit the Start button and take-off on your 650 ... it's just like a Pilot being launched off the Flight Deck in his Aircraft.

The activity is inherently ... DANGEROUS!

Back when they made these bikes ... the odds were better for us.
    No ...
    Cell Phones
    Blackberrys
    Laptops
    GPS Screens
    DVD Players
    Bose sound.
    iPods
    and everything else distracting the oncoming, overtaking or next-to-you motorist from colliding into you.

I think the Full Face suits your noggin just fine.
    The 650 don't need one.

14. DanP

DanP Member

Good points, everyone.

15. Old-Grunt

Old-Grunt Member

dress for the slide not the ride :D

16. Altus

Altus Active Member

Or a saying I'm liking a whole lot, and it makes a good acronym too!

ATGATT

All The Gear, All The Time

17. Gene

Gene Member

I have seen pictures of people WITHOUT jaw, I will never forget that.

Full face.

18. welderflame

welderflame Member

If you haven't gotten the message yet FULL FACE. As a former racer who has had a multitude of lids over the years, There is nothing better you can do for your head than wrap it in a full face helmet. I've been down on a bike @ 170+ if not for the full face helmet I would not have a chin or forehead, not to mention the silver dollar size hole that would be in the back of my skull if not for the full face lid.
    I live in sweltering middle Florida and I will not go without my full face helmet.

Attached Files:

19. Robert

Robert Active Member

Full face, hands down. Seen too many nasty pictures of the leftovers of a few that didn't make it when the flesh met the road. And one that did, it was grusome.

20. XJoregonian

XJoregonian Member

Well fine then!! I'm getting a full face!! :oops: Hahaha.........god I love this forum!!