1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Handle bars/ ape hangers

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by csmith67467, Feb 25, 2010.

1. csmith67467

csmith67467 New Member

hi just joined this site. and its my first time doing a build. i have an 1981 Yamaha xj650. i have 16inch 7/8 ape hangers on it and im lost on how much more cable i need i dont wana end up to short. and ideas for grips. im also running forward controls and working on lighting and mye rear fender and seat. any ideas would be appreciated

2. schooter

schooter Active Member

I dont know how much longer, there hasnt been anyone on here in awhile that has used ape hangers.. however, they best advice I can give is to buy a good bit of 1/4 inch hose (I think the best hose for this would be the hose in the ice maker kit for fridges) and just run it from where the brakes and cables on the bike will be to their destination points

3. csmith67467

csmith67467 New Member

well i got the cable thing figured out tonight got my forward controls on. decided to go with a suicide shift. will post pics when i get a camera or get my girlfriend to do it

4. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Sounds cool, can't wait to see how the apes look.

5. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

any update on this? I keep going back and forth between drag bars and apes myself. Interested in the suicide shift as well.... post up some pics.

6. morty

morty New Member

Keen on ape hangers too...pics pleeease.

7. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Got drag bars but they were to uncomfortable & now I'm waiting on some mini apes. I cant decide either. I guess I'm just gettin old. I'll post some pics when mine get here.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

There's one Old School Thumb Rule to use when selecting APE Hanger Handlebars.

The HIGHER the Handlebars are, ...
    The MORE Hassled you get by John Law.

The more you look like an Outlaw Biker, ...
    The more you get treated like an Outlaw.
    Pulled-over ... "Vare-hiss-yaw-paypairs-Mizder-Hape-Mon"
    "Hey, pig. These are legal."
    Then he comes-back with a DMV-stick and a red line on it.

Then, you're riding on the back of your Buddies Bike.
    "Cause you were off by a toe nail.

9. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

Here in Jersey apes can't go higher than the riders shoulders.

10. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Same here in FL. Riders shoulders. The ones I'm getting are only 12". Shouldn't be a big deal.

11. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Here's my girl "Zoey" with 12" mini apes. I just named her. They are really comfortable. Not too High not too Low. Just PERFECT!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

not too shabby. Thanks for the pics.

13. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Koolaid5,

They look a lot higher than they are. I'm 5'8 and they are still lower than my shoulders by a couple of inches. Very comfortable kicked back ride. I rode about 100 miles today. No problems. All the stock cables just fit. The brake line is tight but it will work for now. Hope this helps. I haven't seen a lot of pics of XJ's on here with apes. I'm glad I took the chance on them. Plus I turned a lot of heads today.

14. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Yeah, I was actually thinking of going a bit higher with mine. Is the rear of your bike lowered at all though? Mine will be lowered 2 1/2 inches and my seat may sit lower than yours as well. I just ordered the clamps to convert my triple to be able to accept other bars. Now I just have to decide on what bars I'm getting. Then I figure if I want them to be higher I'll just go with some dog bone risers.

15. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

csmith67467,

Mine are 12" and my stock just made it. So you will need at least another 4 - 5 inches of cables and brake hose.

16. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

That's fine. I was planning on upgrading all of the lines anyway. I just need to get the bars sorted out, so I can figure out the lengths.

17. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Yeah I have 11 1/2 inch shocks on mine now. I think the originals were 12 3/4 inches. I think the lowest you can go is 10 1/2 without rubbing the fender as a solo rider. I have mine under full load right now & my fender is raised a bit. It was kinda close with a adult passenger. I thought about the dog bones too. I love the drags but it seems like the ass needs to be dropped for them to be in the comfort zone for me.

18. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Yeah, I should be ok with the 10" shocks. I got the same ones that brawler has on his. I'm just going with the solo seat too. I agree with your drag bar comment as well. I like the look, but would like them up a bit higher.

19. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

If your going with risers the stock lengths should be fine. All you will have to do is reroute them. Or maybe go an 1" or 2" shorter.

20. xjrookie

xjrookie Member

i have a set of 15" apes on my xj650 black bars, also hardtailed it,solo seat,and a nice full fender on the rear while ditching the front fender,peanut tank for a sportster,pods,straight exhaust its in the body shop being painted now when i get it back i will throw you some pics,but one thing is for sure new bikes are nice but you can't buy cool