1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hardtail build NEED HELP!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Jeremiah Thornton, Jun 7, 2024.

1. Jeremiah Thornton

Jeremiah Thornton New Member

I have a 83 xj650 maxim that I am currently doing a hardtail on. I’m asking these questions mostly due to not have original frame pieces and measurements.
    I literally just bought the correct size tubing and I’m fabricating the hardtail myself. It was cut near the bottom latch for the tank and some past the swing arm. I will post pics if I figure that part out. I couldn’t get a tube bender so I bend frame tubing myself. But right now I’m stuck on the position of the swing arm. When these bikes are complete and rideable, does the swing arm set completely level or does it have any kind of angle? Once I get answer on that I can finish up my frame work. IMG_2252.jpeg IMG_2253.jpeg

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Make it straight, flat or horizontal, whichever term you prefer. Where is the drive side tube going into the swingarm?
    That looks an awfully shallow angle on the downtube, will put a lot of strain on a thin tubes frame.