1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Harley Davidson Exaust

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 700max, May 16, 2006.

1. 700max

700max New Member

I saw on a different thread someone mentioned putting stock Harley Davidson mufflers on an XJ. Has anyone tried this? If so what model/size works best? Would it effect backpressure, or are there clearance options with this?

2. Foximus

Foximus Member

Well first off you have to realize a lot of welding and cutting will have to be done because those exhausts are made for a V twin engine... Yours being an inline 4 will be horribly different...

As for backpressure, HD mufflers barley use any backpressure and your engine would be the suck.

3. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Actually stock Harley mufflers should be pretty similar to stock XJ mufflers, maybe slightly louder. Steve Fasano had some Fatboy (I think, not sure) mufflers on his, but I believe they were aftermarket. It sounded great, there's a video clip floating around somewhere of it. Planning on getting a set for the Venture 1200, since you can get take-off stock Harley mufflers almost brand new for next to nothing. Stock mufflers rarely stay on Harley's for long.

4. tupperj

tupperj New Member

Foximus: Not as much modification as you might think. I believe the original poster is referring to a post of mine. There are several members of the XS1100 group (also inline 4's) that have done this mod. I believe you can find a link on the www.xs11.com site. Just do a search on fatboy or harley mufflers. I should be trying this on both my XJ650 and the XS1100 before my cross country trip in July. Will report back on the results.

Oh, with regards to making things fit, the recommendation I remember is to take the measurements for your collector and the inlet of the muffler you want to use to a good muffler shop and have them make you an adapter. Not overly expensive and things seal up right.

Paul

5. 700max

700max New Member

tupperj, That's exactly what I'm talking about. The site explains it well. I wonder if you would have to build a bracket to mount the fatboy mufflers on the bike. I'm still not completely sold, but it looks like something worth checking into.

6. tupperj

tupperj New Member

700max: Yes, I'd wager that there would be some bracket fabrication required, but when you get a chance to put a great looking set of mufflers on a bike this old, for such a low price, it's tough to pass up! Besides, we get to play with more tools.

7. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I'll post some pics when I get the XVZ1200 exhaust done, but so far the last 3 sets of mufflers on ebay I bidded on have been sniped at the last minute. :x

If I could just find a set that doesn't end in the middle of the night... :lol:

8. Altus

Altus Active Member

Betcha the "snipe-ers" are using auction sniping software.... unfortunately common these days on Flea-Bay.

9. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Yeah, I've noticed that. :cry:

Anyway, got tired of that crap, and finally found a buy-it-now auction. $20 for the mufflers, $15 for shipping. Hopefully be in next week and I'll post some pics. They're off of an '06 Road King, so I'm wondering if they have cats in them. Anyone know for sure? Here's a pic from the auction:

[​IMG]

Might be a bit long for an XJ, but I think they'll be perfect for the XVZ12.

10. Jazzmoose

Jazzmoose Member

Hey, the trick to winning on eBay is definitely one of those "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" deals. Try www.auctionstealer.com.

11. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I don't get that. If you bid the max you're willing to pay, how can you be disappointed? If you were WILLING so spend that extra $.50, you should have bid it in the first place. If not, well, the item was overpriced for you. Move on. I just set it and forget it. A watched auction never boils - or something like that.

But that's just MY zen viewpoint towards fleabay. Life's too short to worry about E-Bay snipers.

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

Here here, there are still gentlemen in the world. Automated sniping? How crass, not to mention unethical. I'll snipe the old fashioned way, with my own two fingers. Lazy, lazy, lazy, what is this world coming too? I'm with you Oblivion, they may run off the cliff but that doesn't mean I've got to run with them, I'd bring a parachute. I don't use flea-bay anymore unless I'm incredibly desperate. I'll source other means first.

13. jasonlion54

jasonlion54 Member

Joel,

I don't mean to bump this thread, but have you gotten those pipes yet? I always see them on Craigslist and would love to do that myself. Do they fit?

14. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Got them in last week, haven't had a chance to do anything other than stick them on some jackstands next to the bike to get an idea of how they'll look. :lol:

These suckers are HUGE though! Definetly go for some off of a Dyna, Sportster, or Fatboy, stay away from the touring models (Road King, Electraglide, etc.). They're just a tad too big even for my monster XVZ1200 (think Gold Wing), but I'm going to make them work anyway. My main priority now is to find some 1.5" tubing. A friend suggested using the electrical tubing that is run in through walls and stuff. Not sure if it'll be thick enough though. Also going to have to find a creative way of making some mounts. If I get some more time this week I'll do some work on it.

But, the mufflers do look like BRAND new. I don't think they've even had exhaust through them. The '06's all have cats in them from what I've been told, but that's not a big deal.

15. Altus

Altus Active Member

For the 1.5" tubing, go to a good hardware store or a muffler shop and buy some lengths of stainless tube - you won't be dissappointed.

DO NOT use conduit as your friend mentioned for a whole raft of reasons:
    - not meant for exposure to weather
    - not meant for exhaust (hot exhaust is corrosive)
    Basically guaranteed to rust out and be destroyed quickly

16. Joel07

Joel07 Member

I had the same thoughts on conduit. One thing with stainless though, can I weld it with a standard MIG welder, or do I need different wire/gas? It's set up for welding mild steel, and does a beautiful job on that.

17. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

I have a extra set of pipes off of a 98 sporty.Will let em go cheap.Just let me know.I can post pic if anyone is intersted.Baloney pipes in good condtion.

18. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

I have a extra set of pipes off of a 98 sporty.Will let em go cheap.Just let me know.I can post pic if anyone is intersted.Baloney pipes in good condtion.

19. randy

randy New Member

I have mufflers off of I believe a Sportster on my 81 Seca 750. They're stamped with the HD name underneath. Sound and look great but currently have no baffles so are quite loud.

20. beanflicker_98

beanflicker_98 Member

I have a set of those i would part with cheaply if anyone is intersted.They are pretty nice but i don't need em as I have drag pipes on my sporty.