1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hasersys, The Rust Build. Bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Hasersys, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I have been working on this for about two months. When I have time after work. The bike is lowered 2" in the back. I will need to rebuild the caliper and master cyilinder. The piston in the caliper is pitted pretty bad. I assume I should replace it, but could it be reused? Also if i purchase the rebuild kit, The entire rebuild kit with piston, what do I need to reuse from the caliper? How difficult is it to rebuild the mc, and caliper. I have taken it apart so long ago I am wondering how I am going to get it back together, even with my pictures.

[​IMG]

How dose this fender look?

what is the best way to remove rease from the neck? I am going to replace neck bearing with the tapered. I am also sure I have a million questions that I can't think of.

Hope my build is liked.

2. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

The fender looks good, but.......
    My personal opinion is that you need to redo the hardtail. Seems like the tubing you added needs to come from the wheel to the tank. That's a pretty rough transition to try to mount a seat onto. But I don't know what else you have planned. I don't have your vision of what your bike will be, so don't mind me.

3. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Nah, It will be nice when it is done. Mounting a seat wont be hard at all. I am trying to figure out if I want to mount the fender by bolting it on or just weld it on.. I really should mount it so it bolts on but I do not feel like fabbing some parts up.. Might just wait untill I feel like it heh. The seat is going to mount from the back of the tank to past my cross member. My springs are going to mount near the middle point of my crossmember and the tubes coming up in front of the fender. It should all flow very nice. The ride height will make it all like up in a even line.. well some thing like a line.. Kinda what I see..

4. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Cool, man. Your opinion is the only one that matters anyway. Keep us updated.

5. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

more work :D I want to see how you get the seat on there.

6. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

looks good so far man, Nice work.

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

At this stage of your build, make sure the frame and all the welding is all cool.
    If this is your first shot at a custom bike; get somebody to look-over your work without the attachment you have to the project.

Rebuilding a Master Cylinder is easier than putting-together a Computer Desk from IKEA

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30064057

WAY easier!

The Caliper is Aluminum.
    Getting a Caliper Piston and totally cleaning and rebuilding a
    Yamaha Brake Caliper, ... is ALSO easier than assembling a Computer Desk from IKEA.

Splitting the Cases and replacing bent Shift Forks, ...
    Not easier than assembling a Computer Desk from IKEA.
    Close though.

8. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I just readup on it last night, and i think I got it thanks.. lol.. ikea

9. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

I'm with you Hasersys.. I like the shorter wheelbase your frame is gonna give the bike. I see a lo of hard tails on here with a big rake on the front forks and you end up with yur classic chopper.. Chuck some monkey bars on top for good measure.. Maybe that's the point of a hardtail, I dunno, but I come from a sports bike back ground.. My bike's got a cafe racer inside her, and with the bike set up like you have, it's gonna end up going down that line.. Put the right paint job on her and you'll have a really sweet ride.

Have you tried carb cleaner on your grease.. That stuff eats through most things.

10. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I had bobbed my rd250. Granted I love keeping bikes in original shape the bikes I change the frame to were little to nothing to purchase and had issues. This bike was bought over a year ago. The Po chopped the back off and rigged a back fender. I left the bike as it was and rode it for a year. I bought it for $300 and got my money out of it. I have rebuilt the carbs, and that is about it.

The way the frame is I can still use the original airbox.... I am not sure if I am going to go that way yet though. Although I did think it was an idea.

11. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Using rebar, I fit it snug against my tire. I used it to also raise my fender up giving it a little pop. I then bent rebar around the back of the fender and welded it on.

Oh, in regards to my welds... They look like crap but they are strong. I can't keep a consistent bead on this welder. It is a bit sporadic, I get a good bead going then I loose arc. I get good penetration. This is cause by the wheels that feed the wire, they slip because of wear. I put a c clamp on it and it helps a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I may round off the fender. I am going to have to stare at it a bit to figure that out.

12. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Take it to a diamond point, not round.. It'll be different and look really cool..

13. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

So my girlfriend posted a picture of me from when I was in highschool. I had built this mini bike and me and a friend were messing around.. Once you see the picture you will see what I am talking about. She posted it to Tmz, they are having a contest. Currently we are in the finals. We are number 18. On monday they open for finals, so PlZZzz go vote for it on monday. we win a little cash, but we also win biker gear. One thing I could use is gear.

I woke up this morning to my gf yelling and laughing. She was yelling at me to wake up and look. She handed me her phone and here is this photo.... some what embarrassing... I had no idea she posted this... That was the first bike I had built, I miss it. I am on build 3 now.

Any ways check it out, and help me out and vote on monday for it.. Or at least check it out. It is funny as hell.

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/tmzs_bi ... t&id=72876

14. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Worked on battery box, and seat. Might move seat forward about 3". Both are just mached up a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

SEAt, measuring drunk only leads to failure.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Just my $0.02 ....

You may want to gussett those rear bars. The angle is pretty wide and there will be a lot of force pushing up on those bars.

My point being they're alreay straigheter than not and the force will want to make them completely straight.

But I'm not an expert....

17. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Your .02 makes close to a nickle in my book. I was considering it already. I thought about 4 gussets. Two near the bottom of the seats, and two.. one on each side.. On the last bit towards the last up tubes. Rounding them off a bit to make them look fancy and what not. I want to get the frame welded up and check it out a bit more before I do. This welder is on its last leg, although they look bad they are strong. I am going to look more into it later.... This stuff is also not the easiest to weld on.. Most of what I get for free is scrapped out metal from work. Free = I am using it. The tubes are chromoly. A bit tough to weld, but it can be strong. The negative is that it will transfer A LOT of the force into the rider, and rest of the frame. This stuff doesn't budge. It is best preheated and tig welded, but It really welds just fine.

Bottom line is that I am going to probably throw gussets onto it and then watch for any bad signs. These tubes were meant to hold turbines.... they DO not bend so the bike will be hard on my butt, and hard on the welds.

18. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Probably even more important to do the gussetts with those back legs being chromemoly. The original frame seems to be fairly thin and I'd believe plain steel your rear legs are now much stronger than the frame their welded to.

19. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

BEER + POWER TOOLS = BAD IDEA.

My dad chopped his little finger off that way! Lucky for him it wasn't his whole hand!

Use your grinder and welder ONLY when you're sober.. Stick to mechanical stuff like wrenches and screwdrivers when you've had a skinful, you're less likely to do permenant damage to yourself OR your bike (Far more important! LoL!)

20. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Heh, was still sober. I am sure there are some others here who feel the same, but when I have had a couple drinks before I weld they come out better. It causes me to relax more.

Iwingameover, I agree. I was thinking the same. I get a lot of metal free, I take what I can get and I make it work, and work safe. lol What I get is scrap from work. It is all in good condition with no issues. Most of it was scrapped because the parts do not meet the correct measurments, and ended up in our maintenance dept. They use them to build tables or what ever they want really heh. I go to them and ask if they have any scrap I can have.My bike is now part plane.