1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Have spark but bike won't start?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by timbojim, Jul 25, 2012.

1. timbojim

timbojim Member

Before anyone rushes in here telling me I need to check my valve clearances, clean the carbs, or any engine work, you should know that then engine was running like a dream before i took up the job of cleaning the wiring harness, simplifying it to the simplest configuration. I have a spark on all 4 spark plugs. the bike has been sitting for a while (4 months). Does anybody know any wiring related issues that could affect the starting issue? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

You could have reversed the pulg connections for the coils if you had them apart, or the wires are on the wrong plugs. 1 and 4 to one coil and 2 and 3 to the other.

3. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Prime your carbs by flipping the PC over to prime? Was it just gas sitting for 4 months in your carb w/o any stabilizer or UCL? Battery is fully charged?

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

If you are getting spark, I would doubt its electrical , carbs dried out after sitting and it's not getting fuel for some reason. Add some propane to the air box.

5. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

What's the battery like?