1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

having problems any help would be great

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by xyxj650, Apr 20, 2008.

1. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I just took my carbs off my 81 xj650completely tore them apart and cleaned them and put new pilot and main jets and needles and seats. I bench synced them the way gamuru had posted but with the bred tie wires. Got done put them on bike and got it started. Now it is running at 4000rmp or around 500rpm and stalling. If I turn the throttle it bogs out then stutters and stalls. Just wondering if anyone can give me any ideas. Tried wd40 on boots didn't do anything and tried looking at previous forums to get any ideas. Got my manual on the way but it doesn't do me any good now. Any help would be appreciated.

2. rhys

rhys Member

Isn't that the known issue where the main and pilot jets are reversed?

3. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I put the main jets on where the old ones came off same with the pilot jets, Also cleaned the starter jets in the bowls.

4. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

I've seen some float needle/seats that were actually taller shutting off the fuel too soon to the float bowl.

Are you sure you got the floats installed properly ?

Check the float level, you'll know if your low, high or where you should be real quick.

5. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I will check to be sure these things are in order. Any other possibilities would be worth looking into also.

6. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Did you clean those Emulsion tubes while you were in there ?

7. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

Yes sir I did. As to how good I cannot say, I took a fine peice of wire and carefully pushed in there and shot carb cleaner in there after. I went through 4 or 5 cans of carb cleaner and a couple days to clean them. looked at the posts by other members and went by what they said. I don't know alot about doing these kinds of things so it is possible I missed somethings. One thing I did miss is poliching the diaphram slides. But it actually ran better before I cleaned them. If this helps at all the choke lever makes little or no diffrence. I can have it all the way on 4000rpms, or off 500rpms no inbetween. Tried to get it to idle at 1000rpms and it goes straight up to 4g's

8. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

After you mentioned it one thing that keeps bugging me is how much play do the floats have? That is one thing I questioned when I put them back together. If I put them in upsidedown that would cause these problems?

9. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I hope it isn't that I would feel pretty stupid! lol

10. rhys

rhys Member

You're only stupid if that's it and you don't fix it. Everyone makes mistakes.

11. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I don't care who you are that's funny! lol

12. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Sometimes the throttle and choke cables get hooked up in the wrong spots. Check it out... just in case.

13. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

just put a new throttle cable in I know it isn't that but thanks for the help! It's frustrating! It ran better before I cleaned them, aside from it not starting well cold. I think I'll tear into it again tomorrow. Not going to be working for a while so I got time! Still the thing about the floats makes me wonder. which is the correct way for them. I think I put them in correct but at the time I didn't remember which way they cam off. One way they have alot of play (will drop down around an inch)just a quick guess and the other the way I have them on they don't( about half of the other). I hate pulling them off all the time because soon I'll need new boots! AHHHH!

14. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Here's a picture that may help from a set of hitachi carbs. If you look closely, you can see which way the tang is turned.

[​IMG]

15. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

thanks I was looking for one of those! That is how I put them in seemed the other way was wrong when I looked at it but still wasn't 100% sure till now! The other way gives alot of play in the float.

16. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

If anybody has any other ideas I would like more input. Would like to have as many ideas to look at if I'm going back in! Also after initial install and starting the bike I tried to compensate by adjusting the idle screw and it doesn't help. Same thing no matter which way I go.

17. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

anybody else have any ideas? would like to have more to look for.

18. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

The 4K thing might be caused by the carbs not being in sync. Bench-syncing gets you close, but often not close enough to perfection.. Both my bikes hit the magic 4K RPM if any of the sync screws are off by a couple of turns or so.

19. dustball

dustball Member

All four of your exhaust pipes getting hot? I thought my carbs were dirty so I spent 5 cans of carb cleaner and it still bogged down... turned out that I had a bad coil and only 2 cyl were firing

20. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

firing on all four, tried fine tuning them with my homemade manometer but everytime I try the bike dies. maybe I just need to be more patient and keep going though.