1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Head bearing Ideas.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vesparider, Apr 22, 2014.

1. vesparider

vesparider Member

The Turbo maxin has the ALL Balls tapered bearings that i installed when building the bike. However, I'm not happy. The bike wanders at low speeds and gets that noticeable wobble under throttle. I've ridden bikes with loose or worn bearings and this seems to be the same feedback from the steering.

I've swapped tires from the Seca and it syill has the same problem.
    Brakes are Fine and rotors are straight.

Anybody else have an issue? I may just go back to roller bearings.

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

There are other things to look into that will cause the same feeling.
    Tire balance
    bent forks or triple tree
    swing arm and wheel bearings
    rear shocks and fork oil
    look into those before replacing a good set of steering head bearings. Set them upright and the all balls will be fine. Proper bearing preload on them is important.

3. vesparider

vesparider Member

Agreed with everything you replied. Steering feels fine with no load and no bind off the ground.

This may give me reason to do the vmax fork swap.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Which won't do anything except make the effect worse if the real problem is worn out rear shocks or loose swingarm pivot bearings.

5. skippy344

skippy344 Member

I concur with the sage, BigFitz!

I have the All Balls bearing set and there is NO wobble at any speed.

My XS11 did the wobble, and Fitz nailed it! Loose swingarm pivot bearings!!!

How in Sam Hell does that affect front wheel wobble? I dunno, but after replacing the bearings and centering the swingarm, the front stopped wobbling!!

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

When the swingarm bearings are loose (or worn) the swingam begins to act like a second steering head. As the swingarm wobbles from one side to the other it induces countersteer at the headsotck, and causes the front to wobble as the front end tries to balance out the steering input from the rear. That is one of the reasons why rear-wheel steering has never proven to be effective when applied to motorcycles.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The vehicle only has two wheels. On a four-wheeled vehicle, a problem (vibration, worn shock, etc.,) on one wheel often will "transfer" to the other corner; for instance a broken right rear shock will affect traction on the left front.

A motorcycle, having only two wheels will manifest a problem at one end in apparent issues at the other end. A wallowing or "loose" rear end will affect steering stability due to the effect K-Moe explained above.