1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Headlight won't come on

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by amitlu2000, Aug 7, 2007.

1. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Hey guys,
    I dropped my bike a while back and managed to dent up the headlight assembly and break the bulb. I've since replaced both and have run into some trouble.

When I connect everything back together, the headlight won't come on, no matter how much I rev it. What's more, the instrument cluster isn't indicating whether I'm in Hi or Lo when the bike is on. I've changed clusters, hand controls, bulbs and checked the fuses - nothing's wrong there. Any ideas?

I'm thinking I may have screwed up the relay or something in the crash, or have caused some other weird electrical problem.

I'm gonna pull off the gas tank and try replacing the relay with something from Radio Shack tomorrow. Should I look at anything else while I'm down there? I'm going to measure the alternator brushes just in case (17mm, right?).

2. jon3s3y

jon3s3y Member

I'd try messing with the fuses a bit more. Mine appeared ok even though my headlight was out and had many of the same symptoms... I ended up replacing the fuse box and everything was gravy.

Try that, unless you have already changed out the piece of junk stock fuse box, then I don't know what to tell you.

3. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

ok, i just want to cover it, cuz i've done it.. i thought my headlight was broken after i cleaned out the light switch box... Did you turn the bike on and had it running?? cuz i learned from this every embarssing experience :oops: that the bike has to be turned on and running for the headlight to come on...if you did then sorry i don't know what to tell you..

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Did you get straightened out?

5. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Not yet, Rick. I'm headed to the electronics store tomorrow after/during work to see about a relay, but still no joy.

I've tested with the bike running, and no good. Swapped fuses (with a non-stock box), no luck.

Assuming the relay isn't the problem, I do have another hypothesis. When my buddy helped me get everything plugged in again, the rear blinkers (lost the fronts in the crash) blinked strangely. The left blinker stays on all the time unless I pull the front and rear brake. When I hit the left blinker, nothing happens to change that. The right blinker works pretty normally. Could that problem be causing the headlight issue? Or is it a separate wiring problem to worry about after I get the headlight fixed?

6. RickCoMatic

If you came down on the Headlight Bucket ... the Bucket is where everything gets plugged-in and into other circuits.

You should get in there and check each and every connection. The Bullet can pull loose and still look like its plugged-in.

Get a test light and see if the Headlight Plug-in is getting juice.
    Be careful messing with the Relay's.
    That Safety Relay looks exactly like every other one but its wired differently.

It really don't hurt to Pull-out a Bullet and brush it with the fine side of an Emory Board and use a your Needle-nosed pliers to close-up those female ends for a better connection that they have relaxed too over the years.

7. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Thanks for the advice, Rick. I busted out a multimeter to check the voltage coming into the headlight plug, and it wasn't getting anything. But after your suggestion, I cleaned the hell out of it and got between 8 and 9 volts to get into the headlight, but when I plugged in the light, I didn't get anything. The low voltage tells me the alternator brushes probably need replacing, but shouldn't I be getting _something_ out of the bulb with that much juice?

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

There is one set of plugs in the headlight bucket that you can cross (done it myself) that will give you symptoms similar to your description. Get back in the headlight bucket and make sure that you have all of the connectors attached to the correct plugs.

9. RickCoMatic

Is the bulb good?

If you're getting 9 Volts ... it should glow.

10. fmxiii

fmxiii New Member

First off, I'd like to thank everyone on this Forum for all the help. You guys are amazing and saved me a lot of unnecessary expenses and headaches.

Now, I had the same problem as Amitlu2000 - My landlord backed up on my bike and tipped it. The headlight cracked and had to replace it with a halogen bulb. After a few days it just died on me. Bulb and fuse were find.

My relay was shot but didn't know how to test it. I found a similar relay under the seat, it's the kickstand relay. Plugged it where the headlight relay (under the tank) and voila. headlight turned on. You can't leave it there because there's no on off in that relay. Light will turn on as soon as ignition is on and starting because difficult due voltage being directed to the light but it's an easy diagnosis.
    hope it helps and sorry for rambling on.

11. RickCoMatic

The "Kickstand" Relay ... as you say, is actually the Safety Relay and is configured differently from the generic Electrical Relay.

12. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

I'll pick up a relay at Radioshack tonight, just in case, but wouldn't the relay cut off the voltage going to the plug?

13. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Whew, OK. Fun story.

When I was checking the voltage on the plug in the bucket, I was misreading the damn voltage. I wasn't getting 9 volts, I was getting 0.9! (I went to public school, can you tell?) So then I pulled the relay off the old headlight relay assembly and swapped it with the safety relay. Lo and behold, the headlight came on as soon as I turned the key!

So, now that I feel nice and stupid, I'd like to thank you guys for all your help, but do have one final question.

Is there a place that'll sell a relay that works for the headlight assembly? The one I picked up at Radioshack doesn't have its prongs in the right spot. eBay has ones specifically for the bike for $20 + ungodly shipping for something so small, and I was wondering if the part was proprietary or if an Autozone or Radioshack might have something that'd work.

Thanks again! You guys rock!

14. redneckzombi

redneckzombi Member

I'd like to know that same thing... My safety relay didn't function right so I stole the one out of my partner's 550 Seca. As of right now, her bike runs great, but the bike doesn't shut off when the kickstand's down. She doesn't ride as much as me, so I don't feel TOO bad about stealing her relay... but... I would like to be nice and replace it, haha.

I tried Autozone as well as Pep Boys and Advance Auto... they all gave me the blank "uh... don't you realize this place is for cars, not motorcycles" look. Not too helpful. Haven't tried CycleReCycle yet though. They'll probably have it used for like two dollars and it's on my way to work... just haven't gotten around to it.

15. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Update on my relay question.

This guy looks like it may work. Thoughts from the experts?

16. RickCoMatic

The Link didn't work.

17. RickCoMatic

Oh, wow!

Thanks!

I just did the "Buy it NOW"

Not bad!

(Do it)

18. amitlu2000

amitlu2000 Member

Hah! I'll take that as a ringing endorsement.

19. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hard to tell without the schmatic representation of the relay and I'm not seeing the all-important electrical "cartoon" on the outside of the relay cover. The part number posted could be used to look up the data sheet on that relay from the manufacturer (most post them) if you have the time to research it. You would then need to compare it to the function of the safety or side stand relay (whichever it is your interested in replacing) and see if they match. Contact arrangement is the lease of your worries, they can be repositioned as needed provided you know how to carefully remove them. Have you cracked open your old relay yet? Could be in need of some simple cleaning to function again. Removing the cover is very simple, bend the collapsed portion of the cover shell out of the slots that it is spiked into. Takes a few minutes but if you can save yourself having to move heaven and earth for a replacement, it is a viable alternative and you have nothing to loose. Let us know what you find.

20. RickCoMatic

I was playing the odds.

The odds of one or BOTH being Safety Relays are "Elle-Oh-En-Gee" ... real long.

But look at the bright side.
    If they are Safety Relays ...
    I'll buy one for 5-Bucks.
    Dibs.