1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hello all, looking at a bike today

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by burtmonro, Apr 29, 2007.

1. burtmonro

burtmonro New Member

My current daily ride is a 1979 XS750 triple. I'm going to look at a 1982 XJ1100. Looking for general opinions about these bikes and tips for things I should be checking. Thanks for all input.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The only real thing I have ever heard said about the 1100 that I would specifically check ... outside of the usual pre-buy checks is:

2nd Gear.
    Although I have never seen ... much less ridden one ... they always talk about the Big Pull that the 1100 has and how it can be tough on that 2nd Gear.

I cannot remember the thread. Recently, I think someone with an 1100 was going-in to do a Primary Chain Guide ... and remarked about how it forced the issue 'cause they were "skippin' over" second ... but the bike ran great; even having to do that.

I hope its all good for you ... good luck and hurry back with the news and pictures!

3. burtmonro

burtmonro New Member

Thanks,
    That second gear problem is also an issue with the XS750 triple. I've had almost the entire grocery list of common ailments to deal with, but somehow got lucky on that one.
    I will post pics as soon as I have them.

4. Scrape

Scrape Member

5. burtmonro

burtmonro New Member

Got it! Just brought home my XJ1100 Maxim. At $900.00, it has to be the steal of the century. Pics to follow soon!

6. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Nice catch burtmonro! Looking forward to pics and a full report.

Z

7. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Shouldn't you have been buying an Indian? :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a good buy. If your looking for info and tips on the XJ1100 then give XS11.com a try. They cover a lot of info on the XJ1100 as well as the XS1100. Engines in the two bikes are "basically" the same.

Gear problems are nothing to worry about if you have some basic mechanical skills. They can be fixed without splitting the cases which is a good thing.

Enjoy the ride.

8. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

I love my old XJ1100, it's name's "Hoss" and yes you can get the 2nd gear jumping out. Mine did it shortly after getting it on the road in 97' after it's restoration, I pulled the countershaft and undercut the gears, but I didn't do them very deep and it's starting to do it again. But it's nice to have the power to just double click, skip 2nd and go to 3rd, you really don't even notice once you get used to doing it so much, Heck I hardly use 4th now, as I'm used to double clickin, I do it from 3rd to 5th a often too not thinking.

Very torquey bike, and has no trouble making triple digits in a pretty short time for an old Hoss.

If it's in nice shape, $900. was definately a steal. I got mine for $200 at a Honda dealership in 1996, wasted paint, spun #2 con-rod bearing, and all aluminum really tarnished. I redid the who bike, and unfortunately had to go back into the bottom end a year later to fix the 2nd gear issue. I re-wrote part of the article I had found on XS11.com on doing the job for future use and added in pictures, and undercutting the gears. If you end up needing it, I'll send it to you, mine is far more clear and detailed then the one on their site.

Enjoy it, and we look forward to pictures, I have some of Hoss in my gallery.

9. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Seen two tidy XJ1100s go for $5000 NZ not too long ago. You could not buy a good XJ1100 motor for $900 here.
    Hay if it is better than their one why not post it to our FAQ section?
    Then eveyone could benifit and XJBikes is the better site ;).

10. burtmonro

burtmonro New Member

Here it is. So far, I consider it to be the steal of the century. Only problem so far was the headlight wasn't working. That was just a bad fuse, which I replaced in about two minutes. Only 14,000 miles on it. Man, did I get lucky one this one or what!
    I couldn't find an Indian Scout, so this was the next best thing.

Attached Files:

• 1101.jpg
      1101.jpg
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

Holly Crap! That is so freakin Sweeet to get for them Bucks $$,
    Great nab jumpin on that one !

12. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Sweet ride there Burt!

13. Scrape

Scrape Member

I don't know what to say...oh yes I do...WHY NOT ME God!!!!!!!!!!!! What a score Burt....I can't believe my eyes. 8O That bike is every bit as nice as the bikes in the pics I posted. Red and cherry, you just hit the Lotto for $900 and it's with an XJ Boss bike too!

14. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If you weren't wearing a mask when you picked that up you shoulda been.

15. burtmonro

burtmonro New Member

Thanks, guys. The consensus seems to confirm what I thought, which is, WOWWWWWOWWW!!!! When did my luck change? Sorta makes up for all the times I found myself on the wrong end of the drive shaft, if you catch my drift.
    This is how you get the deals though. A co-worker of my wife mentioned that she and her husband had just bought a brand new Honda Shadow. My wife asked what they were planning on doing with their old bike. The response was a shrug and, "we haven't even thought about it". My wife got right on the phone to me and asked if I'd be interested in looking at it. The rest, as they say, is history. This is a case of just being in the right place at the right time, something I sure don't have a track record of. You get deals like this before they hit the market. Anyway, my 1979 XS750 triple is now for sale.
    One other question, and I really need a quick answer. Is there a technique for getting the XJ1100 up on the center stand? It took all the strength I could muster to get the 750 on the stand. The same technique doesn't seem to be working on my new bike. I need to know quickly because of course, I can't even check the oil level without the bike on the center stand. Thanks again for all your feedback.

16. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

17. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

For me it's just left hand on left grip, right hand under rear rail by shock, and step down on stand with left foot and lift. Pretty much same for most bikes.

By the way I love the XS750 Special, my brother had one, that's one of the most cool unique throaty sounding bikes, I can hear it in my mind now and the sound of that bike always put a smile on my face.

Anyway if you can put that bike on the center stand, then you'll be able to do the XJ1100, their pretty much the same frame and weight.

18. burtmonro

burtmonro New Member

Thanks. It worked!