1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hello from Nebraska

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Phyrekracker, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Phyrekracker

Phyrekracker New Member

Hello, I just recently bought an '83 xj750 Midnight Maxim off eBay. Bike runs good, needs a tune up and some other work done. I am amazed by the know how and volume of information on this site. I have already found the parts and service from Chacal amazing and Fast.

What I want to do to the bike:
    Chop the back end off, but not go hardtail.
    Maybe lower the springs a bit or swap out some shorter ones.
    I like the spring seat, even with teh springs ontheback of the bike. I might reconsider this though. For the seat I want to use an old tractor seat.
    I have already ordered a set of white wall tires.
    Powdercoat the frame, wheels, just about everyting. I have been spending most of my day reading about how to do that at home. Sounds easy enough.
    Put some different bars on it and forward controls.
    2 into 2 exhaust and run it off the right side.
    And Pods. I have read a lot about how difficult this can be and I am up to the challenge.

What I need to do is:
    Go over the front end, wobbls when you let go of the front about 40. Replace head and wheel bearings and replace fork seals/oil.
    Check valves and shim if necissary.
    Clean carbs and replace whatever I need there. Then tune stock. That will get me to winter.

p.s. I havent looked but has anyone tried doing their own powercoating? Just a littel cost prohibitive, but a lot of stuff can be cobbled together for relatively cheap. considering the only shop in town wants $80 for the front and $70 for the rear wheels. From what I have read I can get some equipment and get started for that price. Then I have the stuff to be able to do everything. This is of course not the best way to do it, but it can be done.

2. cturek

cturek Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Make sure you add to your need list going thru the MC and front caliper and checking your rear brakes. My advice on the rear brake shoes is to just remove and chuck them. You can get new shoes for under 25.00. Cheap insurance.

3. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

Where in Neb.? I moved from Kearney to New England 3.5 years ago born in Ogallala Neb. Welcome to the site, many knowledgeable members.

4. Phyrekracker

Phyrekracker New Member

Oh yeah, That does need to be done. When I take the wheel off I need to take the rotors off too. One of them squeaks as it turns in the calipers on the front. I need to see if they are warped.

Too much to do and so little time to do it.

5. Phyrekracker

Phyrekracker New Member

I'm from a small town called Plainview originally, and I have been living in Omaha for 11 years now.

And I am amazed by the volume of information on this website.

does anyone know of a similar honda cb website. I have a friend who bought one and needs the same type of advice and resources.

That bike is what actually drove me to get back on one.

6. theadbrewer

theadbrewer Member

Plainview is out there. No idea on the Honda other than they also make a great bike.

7. Phyrekracker

Phyrekracker New Member

It's been a while and I finally got the pictures. Just put the white walls on last weekend and shimmed the valves this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. clipperskipper

clipperskipper Member

Why did Richie Cunningham just come to mind? Heyyyyy!

9. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

good looking bike. Yes powder coating is very simple to do. I did it for 2 years for myself. your gonna need an oven big enough to bake the parts in. and a sandblaster to clean them to bare medal. i got my powder gun from harbor freight, and my powders from Rosey's powder. I was up and running for well under 200 bux. I moved to a new location and sold all my stuff but its easy to get going adn to make a few bucks on the side, but its not for everyone. U have to be a little bit meticulous, or it'll turn to $hit in a hurry!

10. kvcobra

kvcobra New Member

Hey.... I'm in Omaha as well. I just pick up my First bike xj700n 85' last week. It is very fast and runs very good for someone who does not know much about bike. Today just take it out and did about 20 minutes of riding getting up to 75mph very quick. I know quite a bit about cars but none about bikes. I'm learning a lot from this site however. This will be by beginers bike. So far it is pretty good. Going to get the bike plated and lic on the 20th. Wish me luck....

11. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Good god that's a beautiful bike!

12. Lou627

Lou627 Member

hondatwins.net is a good forum for cb's - twins that is...

13. kvcobra

kvcobra New Member

Go Huskers....

Here is a picture of mine. Pick this thing up for a grand... 3rd gear rpm over 7K is amazingly fast and fun.... Enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. retread83

retread83 Member

check out sohc forum and dohc forum. I like that seat pattern better than mine.

15. Phyrekracker

Phyrekracker New Member

@kvcobra That's a nice looking bike. I'm going to have to look you up and go for a ride sometime.

I'll be down for a bit, my clutch cable just broke on my way to work yesterday. So I got to order a new one from chacal, and I noticed the lever bracket is starting to break. I am getting a flatter drag bar so I want to get one off a different bike so the mirror post is not at a weird angle. I'm going to have to price out my options.

16. kvcobra

kvcobra New Member

Yes, she rides good. We can hook up to go ride one of these nice day. Hope you get yours back on the road soon.

17. kvcobra

kvcobra New Member

Well today was a perfect day for riding. Went after work and ride for about an hour. I finally have the gut to crank it up to 125 mph on a nice stretch of road. It still have plenty left but I got chicken out due to my tires are not in the greatest shape. Wow this old girl still can really move. Next week forcast is also in the mid to upper 70's with no rain. Wow perfect biking weather.

18. Phyrekracker

Phyrekracker New Member

So Yeah it has been amazing and I just got my bike back together. I replaced the steering bearings with tapered bearings, replaced the handle bar, master cylinder, clutch lever mounting bracket, new hand grips, and removed the fender and the fork shrouds between the triple clamps. Looks slick:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the crappy pics, at night in my poorly lit garage, with my cell phone.

19. Phyrekracker

Phyrekracker New Member

Ok I have been having difficulties bleeding these brakes. No matter how much I do it seems like there is always air in them. The Master Cylinder is an aftermarket, but Chacal said it should be sufficiently large enough to work the two calipers on the bike. When I have the bleed valves closed it seems like there is some pressure but I can still push the bike when pressed. I know I can turn the bar and have the bleeder valve at the top of the caliper.

Any suggestions?

20. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

I had to use a vacuum bleeder to do my brakes. You hook the pump up to the caliper bleed nipple. Took about 10 minutes to do. Don't let your master cylinder go dry while you are pumping the air out.