1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HELP!!! 650 IN NEED OF HELP!!

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by christopher louzau, Jun 11, 2015.

1. christopher louzau

christopher louzau New Member

OK, so I have a 1981 XJ 650 Maxim. She started great from the pastor I bought it from. After a month, it all became a nightmare!!! I could not figure out what was going on. So, me and a friend of mine started to trouble shoot it. First, looked at the battery, made sure it was good, and yup all good. Then, the carbs, and that was good and cleanish. So we cleaned it out a little more, and hooked it back up. Now, it leaks a bit from the manifold, and she wants to start, but doesn't give. Not even when I give it a bit of choke. I am at a loss. Please someone help!! I have no Idea what to do.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What is leaking from the which manifold? What was the original problem? Please give as much detail as you can.

3. christopher louzau

No the initial problem was reving too high. Then it died on the highway, now after looking at it some more, it won't throttle.

4. christopher louzau

OK, so i replaced the battery, the spark plugs, and fresh gas and a little more oil in it, but it wont stay running. also, the throttle doesnt work, or my horn.

5. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Not to be a downer, but you don't troubleshoot an old bike you just aquired. You go to the beginning and check/ set everything. Search for "checking valve clearances" and you'll find details on that and everything going foward.

Old bikes are rarely plug and play.

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start reading The Information Overload Hour, and In the Church of Clean. Even if you already did a thing, do it again making sure that you do it correctly. Work on one system at a time (the battery has nothing to do with revving high). I suspect the high revving may have been indicative of a vacuum leak, and that your carb cleaning was not done according to the needs of the carbs.

Stumplifter likes this.
  7. christopher louzau

true, its driving me nuts that it wont start up again.

8. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

We've all been there, Christopher. The bonus is when you do the work and get the thing up to specs, you'll have a hella machine. Check it all. Get the engine into shape, and don't forget the stopping part of the equation. Brake lines have a date on them, if that's more than 4-5 years before now they aren't trustworthy.

Len (the XJ Gif at the top left) will have all you need.

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

That XJ logo is top right...