1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help 700 maxim 1985 wont spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by husky, Sep 19, 2019.

1. husky

husky Member

Right over 20 years ago i owned this.stripped rebuilt then bought a sports bike.sold to a mate. 3 years ago i got it back for next to nowt. As sat in a garage with metal holed roof.so chromes dead ect. I know the bike.and its when i met my wife i had it.so jad to have her back. I got her started after a while fresh battery fuel oil. Ran great. Started taking her apart. Over 2 years ago. But done now as wanted to use her. Put her all back together.and nowt she cranks fine.all fusses by clocks ok one by battery ok. All wires and earths ok. Im limited as no multimeter ect. I think i might need ignition box. As the a wire on the plug was corroded.so made a new one up.grrrrr any help please. Ps im in the uk....once fired up i will need to buy lots of bits.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you have a test light? ( 12 volt bulb and 2 wires)
    if your starter cranks your ignition system should have power . try disconnection the black/white wire from the tci this may be grounding out your tci preventing spark.
    unscrew spark plug caps trim back sparkplug wire a little ends may be corroded

you will need a multimeter to test pickup coils and ignition coils spark plug caps at some point or you will just be spending money yo should not have to.

3. husky

husky Member

Found the prob.thanks side stand relay.i knew it should be something silly.but wont run right yet as battery is dead on 2 cells.so new battery plugs oil filter. Then itll be mot.then hopefully find 2 nice silencers as mine are rotten

k-moe likes this.
  4. husky

husky Member

5. husky

husky Member

All moted and on the rd.now try and find some baffles end cans ect

k-moe likes this.