1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help, 81 XJ550 unique blinker problem.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Apollyon78, May 28, 2009.

1. Apollyon78

Apollyon78 New Member

Hi everyone, great site and tons of great info. I recently purchased an 81 XJ550 and am in the process of restoring it. I am currently having a problem with the blinkers and it seems like a unique problem as I searched the forums and didnt find any info to help me. The PO had put on LED turn signals and I took them off and am replacing them with some regular light bulb style signals. I installed everything and wired it all up loosely, to make sure the grounds and everything were connected properly. Everything worked properly, right side lights flashed, left side lights flash, etc. I then decided to make everything permanent since it all worked and connected the wires with weatherproof butt end connectors. Now when I use the turn signals the left lights work properly and the right front blinker goes solid when activated and the right rear will not light up! Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

I don't know a lot about the blinker system but I would imagine when he put on the LED he might have put in a new relay or even a homemade hack.

Take a look at the blinker relay.

Also - is the bike running when you do this, and how is your battery?

The blinkers do weird things when the battery is low.

I ran my 30 watt sidelights on all the time a while ago, with a battery in shambles. Ran the battery so low/dry that when I stalled in the city- my dash lights wouldn't even come on with the key. Had to pop start it.

Blinkers were going ON and staying on when I had the battery in that state. No blink.

Check it out let us know.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is an open circuit to the right rear, which is why the right front stays on solid. The right side in't drawing enough current to cycle the flasher. You've got a bad connection somewhere, or the RR light socket needs attention.

+1 on restoring it back to stock. Good luck.

4. bill

bill Active Member

+1 on the open circuit - sounds like that's it.

5. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Knew someone would pop in with blinker system knowledge :)

6. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

To put in LEDs you have to put in a new relay, other wise you won't pull enough voltage and you won't go blinky blinky. So I'd investigate that and put the stock relay back in.

It does take out the auto canceler on the signals. But what the hey, I think the LEDs look nice.