1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help with POD filter installation

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by johnt, Jan 5, 2007.

1. johnt

johnt New Member

I also want to remove the airbox and put pods on. My question to y'all is what do I do with the hose going from the airbox to the crankcase? What needs to be done (other that carb tuning) to have the pods on.

Thanks to all

2. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

At my local auto parts store, I found a filter that fits right over the tube, and has similar looks as the pod air filters. A couple of bucks.

3. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

I highly recommend doing it right. The breather is very important to crankcase ventilation and simply putting a filter in the line is not the best method. The engine is designed to extract fumes from the crankcase for a reason.

I run pod filters on my XS1100 and had a mate make me a "contraption" that I designed to imitate the plumbing that exists in the XS airbox. Made from stainless, it not only looks good but is functional as well.

SOme pics to show what we built.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did have a prototype made out of reticulation fittings that worked well but looked like cr@p.

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I agree with Hired_Goon. Getting the vent routed up into the pods will keep your oil cleaner and will cut down on pollutants.

I doubt it's necessary to route the vent to all the pods. Just into one should do the trick.

5. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

Big waste of time. Just don't let the vent hose get clogged and you'll be fine.

6. johnt

johnt New Member

:lol:
    Thanks to all for the replies, I have bought a mini-pod that fits right on the crankshaft opening and will try that.

7. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I win!!!

8. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

Don't use a filter, putting any kind of filter on the engine breather tube is actually a stupid idea. I don't use any filters, just a hose pointed down.
    If you think about it why do you care if the air coming out of the engine is filtered or not? All the filter really does is keep out bugs and dirt.
    The filter can be hazardous to the engine if it gets coated with oil because if it does then air can't flow out and pressure will build up inside and start blowing out gaskets. Don't make the hose longer than one foot either or too much pressure will build up inside the hose.

9. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I know you can do the open hose thing and be ok, but, I sure do like the fitting, engineering and thought that went into the one Goon made.

I personally have a problem with that hose being open for the elements to be able to get into,..... we have lots of dust here that could contaminate an engine.

One could however get a differential vent and vent the crankcase that way.

10. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

The breathing characteristics were discussed in detail in a thread not so long ago. (edit: Here) Basically due to the way an engine operates the breather also sucks air in as well as venting pressure out. Particularly in the cooling phase and possibly with any heat reduction by riding into a rain storm.

The system should be "sealed" against the elements as per the original design of the airbox. A small filter is better than nothing but it does add to the maintenace tasks.(cleaning) They will get clogged with oil and oil attracts dust.

A better option is to route it to the pod(s). However, just routing it to one pod could end up with one carb running richer (burning oil fumes) than the others. Particularly if the engine is a bit old and tired and has a bit of piston blow by.

I basically built my system (and yes, it's a bit over engineered ;) ) to beat a few problems.

1. I'm lazy and knew I'd never get around to cleaning a tiny filter.
    2. I Built it to imitate the piping in the airbox. (Look inside and your airbox breather will probably port off to each carb opening)
    3. My bike wasn't licenced and over here that means a trip to the police inspection pits. I wanted to make sure they couldn't pick on any emission problems related to to the ventilation system.

4. Most importantly, it was free.:D

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

I have to politely disagree with you ArizonaSteve. The crankcase vent pulses with both positive and negative pressure (suction), slight but it is there. I would strongly recommend a free-flowing filter (K&N makes a fine case breather filter) to prevent unwanted debris from making their way into the case. Yes, it is a small hole and on top of the motor but the suction part of the equation is what I'm worried about. It'll pluck the dust right out of the air, and over time will get into the internals. Not to mention the blow-by gases (polution). Ultimately I would encourage a system such as the fine example HiredGoon cobbled together. Mother Nature needs all the help she can get from us. Please visit the link Goon posted, it is a great way to learn a little bit more about the issue your up against Johnt.

12. johnt

johnt New Member

Thanks to all again for your help, I had another question about the Petc**k vacuum pipe?

Where do I connect it if there is no longer a Airbox?

Thanks again and keep on riding...

13. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

It normally slips over a brass nipple on #2 cylinders' intake boot, between the carb and the head.

Connecting the petcock vacuum line to any place on the airbox would not work.

Any vacuum source between any throttle butterfly and the head will do.

14. XJJeff

XJJeff Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=88.583765+4
    If you leave the hole open you leave it open for just about anything to get in there especialy moisture.

15. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Hired Goon,
    I just got done checking out your "contraption" as you call it. I am thinking about the pod mod on my chop job, but the reason i was going to attempt it, was to clean things up and get rid of that big airbox. It would make it so much easier to work with the carbs (which looks like another ordeal re-jetting to allow for the pods increase in air flow)
    I noticed when I got my bike, the previous owner had the vent hose running along the frame, just pointed down. I left it that way, till I seen a post where it was hooked up to the airbox, and sure enough...there was a place to hook it into. After hooking it up, the engine began to run alot better at idle.
    So now I guess I will have to find a wy to hook it into the pods, like you did. I had the same idea, but instead of the solid lines, I'd go with some kind of non-colapsable hoses and a small filter like the ones you get from an auto store. Anyways...thanks for the idea! >pd<

16. XJJeff

XJJeff Member

So that I don't have to take my breather boots off can any one tell me the out side diameter in MM"s of the inlet side of the carb?

17. mdp815

mdp815 New Member

Hi,
    You guys put on an informative read here.
    I have a 82 xj750 maxim. I am currently putting on a Mac 4-1 exhaust, A dynojet stage 3 kit and k&N pod filters. I guess there are two options for the crankcase hose.

1. I am considering connection the crankcase hose to the pods.
    or
    2. Just leaving the hose and putting on a mesh of some sort to help prevent anything from entering it.

What do you suggest for better overall performance and less maintence?. I am not too concerned about the environmental aspects.

Thanks a lot for your replies to this.

18. XJJeff

XJJeff Member

This was my solution. However I don't ride in the rain or on wet roads. If you put one on your vent tube and tuck it in there shouldn't be any problem.

Attached Files:

19. XJJeff

XJJeff Member

Sorry for the ststststudder and tiny pic.

20. XJJeff

XJJeff Member

Here's a better pic.

Attached Files: