1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Dgutowski, May 31, 2011.

1. Dgutowski

Dgutowski New Member

Morning all, the starter clutch chain guide in my XJ650 needs replaced. I followed my service manual and got the bottom half of the engine split apart. I was trying to save some time and did not remove the alternator before splitting the motor and now find myself in the position that the last bolt holding the guide in is under the alternator shaft. I cannot get the center bolt off without the engine turning over. Is it a lost cause? I don't really want to reassemble the motor to get the alternator off and then have to take it all apart again. Any ideas?

2. waldo

waldo Member

Find a place where you can put a hammer handle or piece of wood to keep the motor from turning say between a rod journal and the upper block

3. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Make sure you shim it real good though.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sigh... Follow the bouncing ball...
    I can understand the desire to beat the clock on these things but these things are pretty darn well engineered and shortcuts are few.
    I'd look at locking up the shaft with a strap wrench and hitting the rotor bolt with an impact.
    Good luck, you are definitely going to need it.

5. Dgutowski

Dgutowski New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I am kind of scared of breaking the case so I may bolt the bottom of the motor back on with just the bottom bolts and try to put a wrench on the middle gear and smack a socket on the alternator bolt