1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

High Idle speed after riding the highway

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by gdeliman, May 19, 2011.

1. gdeliman

gdeliman New Member

My idle speed on XJ650 maxim goes up to 1900 rpm after 20 min or more when running on the highway then it would drop down with in 5 min. But if I’m in town it stays around 1100 rpm. Over the winter the Carburetors have been cleaned and synchronized, valve clearance was check and set, new plugs and Air filter. Spark plugs have good color. The bike is running like a bat out of hell plenty of power, no hesitation throughout the throttle range.

2. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I have the same issue (sometimes) with non-clean carbs.

Others in the past have responded (beyond doing carbs, valves, etc) is to check your throttle and choke cables. To make sure they are not binding or routed poorly. You may also have to oil them and/or replace them if they are damaged.

The are not very expensive and Chacal here sells them.

Beyond that, you may need to check for pin holes in your carb boots and the airbox.

3. gdeliman

gdeliman New Member

Thanks for the in put I'm going to go through them tonight.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Float levels, betcha anything.

Set using fuel and clear tubing.

5. dirtymaxim

dirtymaxim New Member

You should try using a colortune to ensure proper mixture. i chased the same problem for years before doing this. It helped immediately

6. WisconsinMaxim

WisconsinMaxim New Member

Bump. Have you figured it out yet? I agree with fitz I would bet float levels. But if that doesn't work, I may have a suggestion. My carb boots were ever so slightly cracked to the point where they only leak an very a small amount after warming up after a 15 or 20 minute ride. I sealed my carb boots using Gamuru's RTV sealent and tire tube method and the higher idle has gone away completely.

Best of luck!

7. gdeliman

gdeliman New Member

Sorry for not replaying sooner - I removed the Carburetors and disassemble and separated them, used a ultrasonic cleaner.
    Resemble found one float levels on was a little high, used a colortune set all four carbs. Running fine now Thanks for the help