1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Home Made YICS Tool Diagrams

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Matt Rolls, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

Afternoon lads and lasses;

Following a bunch of crappy sketches of YICS blanking tools in imperial sizes, I decided to whip up a YICS tool assembly in CAD and draft it. Attached is a PDF (warning it is A1 size paper for a 1:1 print) and below is a large JPEG. Why blow the bank on an official tool when you can make your own?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Seweeeet! You could not have made this clearer. I've been reading the YICS tool vs no YICS tool for months, and now I don't have to decide. Plus, I get to make a tool! Bonus.

Ray likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you should see if they will add it to info overload with the link to the YICS diagram for us non metric folks

4. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

I can fairly easily annotate this in suitable imperial sizes if you would like? Although, it doesn't do my brain any good specifying components in imperial sizes for a bike that is entirely metric...

I think I forgot to mention when I posted it originally - there are parts where the diameters are arbitrary. For instance, the copper pipe; so long as it fits on the threaded bar and also fits down the YICS passage, the outer diameter doesn't matter - just so long as it allows the wingnut to compress the rubber to block off the YICS ports. Same with the Penny Washer, just as long as its larger than the YICS bolt head.

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

So does anybody know offhand what the diameter of YICS tube? It would be awesome if we could have all the info required to build this tool in one thread.

6. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

I can measure this tonight - will post later/tomorrow. I'll get to work on an imperial version. Will also design a complete YICS delete device (one that has viton o-rings and can be fixed into the YICS passage permanently & won't melt).

Ray likes this.
  7. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

For non-metric folks, here's a new drawing with the imperial sizes in parenthesis.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

45RidingAn85 and Ray like this.
  8. XJ550H

it realy does not matter if the hardware is metric or imperial . when the tool is tightened the tubing is expanded.
    metric hardware is costly compared to standard for me to purcahse

Ray likes this.
  9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Viton will melt like butter when used inside the YICS chamber.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Viton will do 400F, PTFE (Teflon) can do 500F.
    but i think you'd be better off forgetting about the whole thing

11. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

if you really want to close off the YICS, strips of cotton t-shirts soaked in oil and stuffed tightly in the YICS and closed off with the bolts..

12. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

Of course it will, having a look last night I realised the YICS passage is a very high temperature environment. Maybe permanent YICS blanking is a bad idea without some really special sealing material, but I do need to balance the carbs.

Also;
    I apologise if I came across as flippant - I more meant that imperial is hard for me to work with as I am almost totally unfamiliar with sizings and conversions for metric. The most interaction I have with imperial fixings is when I find one on a car or bike and start shouting and throwing things because I don't have the correct socket/nut/wrench etc. I didn't even know when I produced the latest drawing that imperial threaded rod has a # value plus a threads per inch value for the pitch, I had to learn what it all means!

13. XJ550H

I did not take it that way, I should have said the only size critical parts are the tubing and the placement of the tubing. metric hardware is is costly here.
    I liked the drawings ,
    metric is not understood that well in US.

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

what time is it in metric.....hummm ?
    [​IMG]

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Burbon. Moderator Premium Member

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I guess if landing on the moon is more important to you than making a decent motorbike...;) And also, when was the last time that happened? When imperial still made sense?
    PS Wasn't the moon landing a hoax directed by Stanley Kubrick?:Blackalien

17. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

I can see this debate going downhill rapidly. Can we use the metric system to land an imperial YICS blanking tool on the moon? :eek:

Also; as a side note as there are some heavy hitters here in this thread - Has anybody had any trouble fitting A2 or A4 grade stainless steel fixings to the 58L or 4BB motors?

By that I mean, has anyone had any issues after an engine dress-up with stainless fixings and galvanic corrosion? I have put together a full set of screws to replace all of the fixings for the clutch cover, gearbox cover, generator, carbs & starter because the previous owner has mashed up every JIS head screw and allen-key caphead in sight, and they're half painted and crusty.

Possibly related to that question, should I use semi permanent threadlock on the engine casing screws (gearbox cover, clutch cover, generator cap, starter etc)? Or can I possibly combat the corrosion with anti-seize, or will that just make the screws vibrate themselves out?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  18. XJ550H

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  19. Matt Rolls

Matt Rolls New Member

Ah excellent - I've just completed an engine rebuild and replaced all the fasteners with A4 stainless ones, with Torx heads instead of those nasty JIS screws. I coated them all in a non-setting high temperature thread lock after chasing all the threads out with a plug tap, so hopefully they won't seize.

I was going to use the YICS tool to do a the first carb sync but then it started idling/running really well a couple weeks ago. They say not to fix that isn't broken...

20. Mustang

Mustang Member

What's the best rubber tubing to use for this