1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How can you determine Mikuni carb model

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Troy Roberts, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Troy Roberts

Troy Roberts New Member

I am new to this site and sure wish I found it years ago...it is awesome!! I have a dilemma I hope somebody can help me with....I have an 85 Maxim x 750, actually 2 of them, I bought a wrecked one years ago for parts.
    My question- is there a way to tell which Mikuni carb model I have?? The reason I ask, and this is going to sound weird I am sure....I decided to replace my float valves and needles, 2 of my carbs were overflowing slightly, while setting my float heights I realized it is impossible to set them to 17.5mm. Completely compressed they are about 18mm from the carb body.....After doing some research, alot on this site actually I am thinking they are are not Mikuni BS33 but perhaps another model. The thing is, I took apart the other set of carbs from the parts bike and it is the same situation?? what are the odds I would have two sets of carbs with the same measurements?? Are the carbs somehow different in Canada back then?? I didn't think so....
    Any help would be appreciated...Thanks!

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

when you disassemble your rack, the numbers are usually stamped on the side of the body.
    There’s no way the can be at 18mm if totally compressed, unless you have things installed wrong, or the wrong floats, or are measuring at the wrong spot...etc......

we need pics

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member