1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Lloyd McMullen

Lloyd McMullen New Member

xjbikes came up often when doing google searches for my newest project bike (82 XJ650). Are parts still available though xj4ever website?

650MAX likes this.
  2. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Same here. Every time I google something for the bike I end up here! Good place to be. Chacal does the XJ4ever site and he's very active on the forum. If you find something you need you can PM him and he'll be on top of it.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

his catalog is also filled with information it is more than a parts catalog

JetmechMarty and Chitwood like this.
  4. mclarkson

mclarkson Member

Just bought a very, very sad XJ 700 Maxim as a project bike. Google brought me here.

Franz, 650MAX and JetmechMarty like this.
  5. Bosen

Bosen New Member

When I was buying my bike, a 1981 Yamaha Maxim xj550, I did a bunch of research on it (I was brand new to motorcycles and wanted to get a good "beginner" bike) and stumbled across this community - this was back in 2007 - and my bike has been sitting for about 5 years now (I have been living in Vietnam) and now I am BACK in the USA and trying to learn about these bikes again and trying to decide if I should sell it as is or give it the TLC I want to and get it back on the road!

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start thread, post some pics, and we'll help you decide. Odds are that she's worth saving.

Bosen likes this.
  7. XJ4/550

XJ4/550 New Member

Same as others, Google search for info on the xj400 special I was bidding on, on Ebay!

8. Bosen

Bosen New Member

Thank you for the encouragement. I have come across a couple of other threads that should help as well!

9. lynn&tricia

lynn&tricia New Member

I need some info, which way does the motor turn,clock ,or anti clockwise ?

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Depends on which side of the bike you are looking at.

XJ550H likes this.
  11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

same way you turn it to adjust valve shims ccw (anti) on left side of motor

12. tj.

tj. Active Member

Hello everyone. Found this site by typing seca 650 into the search bar (duckduckgo). Everytime I needed some info on this bike, whether it was VIN, electrics, brakes etc...this site would show up. Great site!

I recently purchased a 1982XJ650RJC (Canadian)...sure reminds me of the RD350LC. It appears to be in original condition, other than exhaust tailpipes and the seat. Still going through the systems on the bike...she needs some work.

Looking forward to be a part of this site.

Cheers, Tom

13. ViperArt

ViperArt New Member

Google search for XJ 750 forum. Here i am!

14. SM85

SM85 Member

Got here because my Wife and I bought an old used XJ650, and technical and restoration advise.

15. molochnik

molochnik New Member

Hi All, Molochnik here, and this is my first post.
    To answer the question posed, this is the first site I came across while researching a bobber with which I've offered to mentor a youngster on reviving. It appears we have an XJ650J.

I have some experience with these engines but I'm sure I can learn a lot here too. My first professional motorcycle job was replacing a 3rd gear in a Seca, so XJs have had a special place in my heart...we'll see how that goes depending on how this bobber project shakes out.

I apologize for the Harley product in the avatar; I don't happen to have any pics of anything close to an XJ (my R1 or XS650) on this computer.

16. tk42767

tk42767 New Member

I was given a bike that a former coworker's son left in her garage and moved out of state. She wanted it gone. I had no bike experience, but liked the ascetics of a cafe racer.

17. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Back in the early 80's, after leaving the Marine Corps, I had a Honda CB350 which developed a leak around a spark plug and holed a piston. I bought a couple of Kawasaki Mach III 500 triples and had a blast. Easy to work on and fun to ride. Son arrived and I ended up quitting riding (too risky) and skydiving and sold one of the bikes. The other sat around for around 20 yrs before I decided to sell it. A few kicks and the 20 yr old gas started it up. Fast forward to now and my son gave me this old '86 XJ700S that he bought but hadn't done any work on and didn't ride it. Since it was a very hard starter and drained the battery if it ran, I found this place while searching for info to aid in fixing it up. Glad I did.

18. WileyRiley

WileyRiley New Member

Internet search after search lead me to this site. After much looking around out there, this site is by far the most resourceful when it comes to advice, technical expertise, and the availability of both new and used parts. While I don't contribute much at this point (full time job, raising a herd of children, house to fix up, and three Yamaha motorcycles to maintain) - I have been really impressed with this site and find myself coming back all the time. The "Church of Clean" was instrumental in my carburetor rebuild, along with Len's expertise and inventory.

Job well done to everyone who contributes to this site. Thank you for your time and resources in making it what it is today.

Cheers!

JetmechMarty likes this.
  19. Mechajob

Mechajob New Member

Dave Hogfiddles suggested i check it out. I met him at Norwich NY in 2019 and talked for some time about my (and His Many) Seca.

20. Cactus

Cactus New Member

Thanks for the add Found Via a xj650 site of facebook members reccomendation
    Bought a 82 xj 650 seca for a nostalgia project as my very 1st road bike back in 1984 was a 82.XJ 650 Special privately imported into NZ
    Now in process of rebuilding and sourcing parts

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020