1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

how did you get your mufflers off.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by snowwy66, May 29, 2010.

1. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

i've ground out the weld spot. even chopped a hole to make sure the weld spot was broken. even heated up the collector pipe. but it AIN'T BUDGING.

so how did you all get your mufflers off?

2. ward333

ward333 New Member

I cut mine clean off. I cut right along the edge of the weld on the collector box side of the weld. I noticed after I cut them off that the muffler extended about 3/16" into the collector. This little bit that was left was stuck in there good....I mean real good. I had to use a dremel cut-off wheel and an end grinder to get them out. Later I welded on a couple of
    1-1/2" I.D. X 1-3/4" O.D. adapters to accomodate my new mufflers.
    I cut my old mufflers clean off as they were shot and not worth saving.

3. jvitzu

jvitzu Member

After unscrewing the clamp, I couldn't pull the mufflers straight out. I was able to twist them a little bit, and every time I twisted, they came out a quarter inch or so. After a minute of twisting back and forth, they came out.

4. Kiba

Kiba New Member

I am in the same spot as you and so I left it just patched some holes with popcans and RTV high temp and ceramic Fiber insulation and poof it's done RAT BIKE for the win

5. yamaman

yamaman Member

snowwy was there a weld spot on the stock system? I just got a new colecotor and mufflers and can't get Anything on my bike loose - at all.

6. Vedalkin

Vedalkin Member

Lots of penetrating oil, heating with a torch, banging, cursing, drinking, more heating, banging, more drinking... Doused em with some Blaster penetrating oil, left them overnight, and they eventually came out.

7. yamaman

yamaman Member

holy crap that sux, ok i'm goin in (right now). I feel like all the shaking of the headers is gonna create a leak at the head

8. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

there was a weld spot. but i just cut the mufflers off. right at the lip of the muffler. the forum mention called for 1 1/2 inch pipe. so if you try to take that inside metal out. there goes your 1 1/2 inches. probably need 1 3/4 inch pipe instead.

although it don't look like it. my mufflers slipped OVER the collector. once i got the mufflers off. there was about 6 inches of the collector pipe inside the muffler that was cut off also.

i have a nice clean cut with a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 adapter. that fits really nice. will see what happens once i get the replacement mufflers.

9. yamaman

yamaman Member

Gotchya, But, I'm trying to find out if your weld spot was factory welded, and was the collector and mufflers stock? I have a new stock collector and muffler pair I wanna put on, I removed the nut in the center of the collector but nuttin seems to budge, 2 apps of penetrating oil so far, gonna put 3rd app before bed and try tomorrow.

10. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

stock exhaust. stock welds. i really didn't want to change the mufflers but with holes in it kinda left me no choice. and i think there was some performance issues. i'm getting more rev with straight pipe then i did with the mufflers.

when i put the straight pipe on. i did 9k rpm in first gear. with the mufflers it was 7k if i was lucky. and that was with the band aids on.

11. yamaman

yamaman Member

yeah I think I'm gonna have more bottom end with these, the baffle looks kinda tight, the current stock ones are gutted. so where should I look for this damn weld? can't see anything so far

12. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

it's hidden behind that chrome plate on the collector. between the muffler and the header. my plate is missing on the right side. the left side still has it so i can't see it.

i've still got the fastener it was welded onto but the cover itself is gone. there's spot where the muffler joins the connector and there's a spot where the collecter joins the 2 headers.

13. parts

parts Member

Twisted.pulled and pounded with a big long flathead and
    3lb sledge.
    They came off eventualy but it took like two-three hours by my lonesome.
    It's best to have someone pull as you pound at the collector.

Keep in mind as you hit the muffler away from the collector that you dont "bugger" the ends to bad....they can be cut off later and used
    as reducers in a new set of pipes.

14. yamaman

yamaman Member

Wow this job is no joke. Got one muffler off so far with oil and torch but jeeze what F'n job. The next muffler then the collector is going to take Hours

15. yamaman

yamaman Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH I CAN'T THEM OFF. should I trailer it to a shop?

16. yamaman

yamaman Member

do I need something like a doughnut or something on the header pipe seal if I drop the headers from the motor?

Maybe they're just as hard to get off? doubt that

I'm thinking of bringing the whole system to a place instead of bringing the whole bike

17. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

Are you talking between the head and the headers? If so there are crush washers between the header and the head. The ones that came out were copper over fiber. The ones I had to re-install were wound tin or some other light soft alloy

18. yamaman

yamaman Member

so that means the chances are re-using mine are slim ey

19. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you got mufflers and collector just unbolt the pipes at the head and drop the whole thing off
    then you can get it up on something and get serious about it

20. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

just cut the mufflers off man. and leave the pipes. much less work to just use the hole you end up with rather then trying to get shit out of there for a bigger hole.

LOL.