1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do y'all start and warm up your bikes?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by barooo, Jul 2, 2007.

?

My choke pattern is

1. 100% while warming, then 0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 100% while warming, then a gradual adjustment to 0%

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. 100% while warming, begin riding at 100%, then 0% once warm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. barooo

barooo New Member

my '82 650 Maxim runs like a freaking top once it's fully warmed-up, but for the first 4-5 stoplights, it is really boggy from idle. Once it's above about 2500 RPM it's fine, even cold. I usually start it on full choke, rev it as soon as it starts to make sure the fast idle catches, then put on my gear while it's doing that. Then I turn it to no choke while revving it to about 3500 (tends to want to die if I just turn the choke off with no throttle applied), rev it a couple of times which seems to help smooth out the idle, then take off. I go from full to no choke.

This morning, I tried leaving it around 1/3 or 1/2 choke for the first light or so, and that seemed to help a bit with the bogginess, but it ran funny above 2500 RPM when I did that so it may be worse than dealing with the hesitations and roughness at idle. My hesitation at idle while WARM is gone thanks to a concentrated seafoam treatment over the weekend, but it's still off while cold.

2. blackdiscoball

blackdiscoball Member

When I bough the bike the PO said that it took a while to warm up (like 5 minutes) but I have found it much different. Now I ride it almost every day but I start it on choke, wait like 1/2 a minute to a minute while I put my gear on then slowly take the choke to zero, and its a champ from then on. I could probable get by with not choking it at all.

3. gitarzan

gitarzan Member

My bike's PO didn't know what he was doing. He told me it was hard to start, etc. It just needed choke. He acted like the choke was abnormal. It did need the choke on all the time to idle until I synched it.

I just go full choke, Start it, adjust to about 2K RPMs. ride off and kill the choke after a few hundred yards. After that it runs like a greased pig.

4. dburnettesr

dburnettesr Member

100% to start then to the first notch emeadiatly,,,off as fast as possible

5. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

100% to start, wait for RPM increase to 3-4K, then half way, wait again... then ride!

6. Maximator

Maximator Member

On about 75% to start, then ease it down to 25% within a couple of hundred yards or right off if I know I won't have to stop at an intersection within the next couple of minutes.

7. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

No have not got a choke, the D did have a "choke" but all this does is hold the idle high untill the bike is warm enough to idle. EFI :p

I don't "warm it up", just start, wait till idle smooths out (10 - 15 seconds), then ride off.

For a carbed motor gitarzan's method is the same as I use.

Letting any motor idle for long periods of time to warm up is not good; just don't thrash the motor when cold.

8. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

About 1/2 choke, it idles for about a minute like that, I pull out of the driveway and kill the choke within 100yds.

9. redcentre003

redcentre003 Member

I presume from the replies so far that they are talking about cold weather. I've got the left handlebar mounted choke. In winter (say 8degC mornings) I give it full choke to start and then alsmost as soon as it is spinning I take it back to the first notch (half choke - or is it half enrichment!) for about 10 - 15 seconds and then off altogether and hold it just above idle with the throttle to warm it up a bit for a minute. Then ride gently - it takes 2 -3 blocks before it's warmed up properly.

The other three seasons when the morning temp is 12 degC or above I can get away with half choke or in summer virtually no choke at all.

Then again, I have the pilot screws 3 turns out on the carbs and this makes a difference. When I only had them turned out 2.5 to 2.75 turns out I used to need more choke/enrichment.

10. vinco

vinco Member

How do I start my XJ?

Hail Mary, Full of grace...

I'm working on it.

11. mainexj550

mainexj550 Member

I press the starter with no choke, as soon as it fires I crank the choke on about 75% while I give it a bit of throttle. Let it idle around 3k for a few seconds. As soon as I start riding I have to turn the choke completely off or the bike jerks and surges.

How I came up with this procedure? I have no idea. Fear of flooding maybe.

12. luna3

luna3 Member

I need to run mine fat for awhile...try to close the choke as soon as possible so not to foul the plugs. Takes a few minutes to run right but then...............................GETOUTOFTHEWAY!!

13. On1wheel01

On1wheel01 Member

I just hit the starter, no choke needed(well in the summer,winter full choke)warm it up for about 10 secs and ride like hell.

14. Gene

Gene Member

I don't need choke at all. Start and rev it up a couple times and done. Having the carbs recently cleaned helps!

15. frappe

frappe Member

:lol:
    Goooood one!!

I do full choke during start. As soon as she gets to 2500rpm I reduce choke to keep revs about 2500. Warming up for minute or so then I reduce choke just enough to keep reving about 1500 and off we go! One more minute or less depending on outside temperature during riding.