1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do you remove the airbox?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by c21aakevin, Oct 27, 2009.

1. c21aakevin

c21aakevin Member

I am cleaning up my '82 Seca, and I want to remove my air box. I just can't get it out. I have removed the starter, carbs, clutch cable holder and all the brackets around there.

Any ideas short of saws-all or unbolting the engine?

The bike is missing the air cleaner, and I was planning on installing pods.
    I will cut the box if I need to, I just don't want to do it now. After the pods are installed, I plan on making a glove box out of the old airbox.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Kevin, you will need to unbolt the engine and slide it forward to eek out just enough room according to one of our members who's post I cannot recall. Sorry. I however, have never been able to remove one successfully (I broke mine) but I did not unbolt the engine either.
    There you have it, prevailing wisdom is that it can't be done but one fellow offering that he successfully removed his. Use this information at your discretion. PLEASE don't break your airbox, some of us could use it. What size is your Seca? I'll offer up a few bucks for an intact unit that'll fit my 650 Max.

3. ScreamingGigabyte

ScreamingGigabyte Member

I haven't looked much at my XJ650s Airbox yet, but on my Kawasaki I had to push air ducts into the airbox (that go from the airbox to the carbs) to be able to get the airbox out.

4. c21aakevin

c21aakevin Member

I already removed them. I also took the trim covers off the sides.

5. wizard

wizard Active Member

You can't get it out without moving the lump, if it's in good nick, do that, if it's not, give it the chop.

6. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

i just took mine out last weekend. its not that hard once you get everything ready, you just need to push really hard. like you said take off the carbs, the starter, the airbox boots, and the engine side intake boots. then loosen the fuse panel and tci bracket and push it out of the way, and take out your battery and remove the battery box. once all that stuff is out of the way (it all comes out with just a few screws, very easy) make sure your airbox is unbolted from the frame from the 2 bolts in front of the fuse panel. now you should have enough room to push it forward, and out to the right side of the bike. youll probably have to turn it about half way through, but if you took everything off you'll have plenty of room to get your hands in and manipulate things. i ended up breaking off the overflow spout at the bottom of the airbox, so maybe itll be easier if you just cut it off flush with the box before you start. other than that just push hard and it should come right out. oh yeah dont forget to take off the filter cover before you start. theres a video of a guy removing his air box on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfcKX29l ... ture=email

if you do it this way you DO NOT have to move the engine around. the main part that will give you trouble is the top left corner of the box near the filter covers top left corner. its a sharp corner that gets caught on everything. just be mindful of it and push hard. the box will give enough without breaking

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

looks like the movie guy has the intake manifolds off too
    if your going to use the airbox, is it necessary to take it out ?

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The airbox will be in the way of your pods. The bike in the movie is a 650 Maxim- - the trick won't work on a 750 Seca, unless maybe you move the motor forward. Pod #4 will get rained on, and your "gloves" will get wet.

Did you look into "re-tuning for pods" ?? There's a few threads already on that subject.

9. c21aakevin

c21aakevin Member

After reading everything, it sounds like I should dump the pod idea and just get a K&N filter for my box.

I have read that there are suppose to be some rubber boots somewhere in my box. My box is empty. It has the first chamber that the rubber carb boots attach to, and there is a hole on the lid next to the fuse box. There is no rubber boot inside the box. Only the two chambers. One under the tank(as I stated above) and the one that holds the filter. There was no filter in it. I am missing part number 5G2-14437-00-00 DUCT.

If I don't install the duct, I am thinking I should increase the main jet 2 sizes if I do this. I think the idle should be fine if I raise the needle.

Any input on this?

Any

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The boots in the airbox you may have read about are the RETRACTED intake boots, while installing the carbs. You then pull them out into their final position.

I think you should run the bike and see if you have a tuning issue, rather than fix a problem that you did not observe.
    Meanwhile, you might be able to locate this duct.

You might even be able to make a working replacement of the same size and length.

11. lorne317

lorne317 Member

Robert,I've got one if you're still looking.Just pay for shipping and it's yours.

12. schooter

schooter Active Member

I like how he's using rubber gloves to do his work, for what reason, i dont know.. to keep his hands clean?

and yet he's got a burning cigarette in his ear

13. wizard

wizard Active Member

Lopezfr2, if you had to break off the drain outlet, you have not removed the airbox intact, it's like saying I stopped the circular saw with my hand & only lost one finger.

14. lorne317

lorne317 Member

Mine was removed while stripping a parts bike.It was almost the last thing to come out,and even then we had to remove the starter to get it out intact.

15. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The best advice, ...

Do what you need to do in order to remove the Airbox without damaging the Airbox.

You should keep the Airbox.
    You might have a change of heart and want to reinstall it.
    There are some who scrapped their Airboxes who wish they hadn't.

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Yes I am. Thank you for keeping me in mind. I'll PM you with contact info.

17. lorne317

lorne317 Member

Robert,I sent you a PM and an E-mail about the shipping costs but haven't heard back.Did you still need the air box?

18. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sorry Lorne, Just found your email in my Junk Email (which I never check). You went into the filter. I'm still needing it. I'll respond to your email.

19. Methusulah

Methusulah New Member

I have an '83 XJ 550 Seca and I was wondering about getting an airbox back in. Anybody have any luck or know of any issues?

20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Meth, you'll need to remove the carbs, starter motor, and most probably the front engine mounting bolts (and loosen the rear engine mount bolt) so that the engine will tilt forward and down a bit, and then you should be able to shoe-horn the airbox back in place....