1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast have you gone on your XJ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jon3s3y, Sep 5, 2007.

1. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I guess I'm not going be finding out what my 550 SECA will do once I have the done. Don't plan on changing the speedo. But had my '74 Z1-900 at 130+ getting onto Alligator Alley back in the early 80's. That is, until it started to going into a death wobble. Fastest was on my FJ1200 at 150-155 mph. Not sure. Only up there for seconds at a time. Thing was rock solid. Had it up to 120 mph two up with my girlfriend at the time. She only weighed 90lbs, LOL. Only have had my current 76' KZ900 up to 95 mph or so. Don't really trust the front end on this one. I don't like to take the risks anymore given my kids are still pretty young.

2. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

65 mph... Only been riding a week, takin my time haha

3. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

you can always throw a gps on it for a ride, thats hat i did on my maxim.

I'm doing the speedo swap on the seca foe sure though.

4. Krafty

Krafty Member

so far 0 unless 60mph in the back of a truck counts. but im gonna try to keep it close to the speed limits.

5. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

thats what they all say.... wait till you get on and ride.... and 100mph is just the twist of the wrist away ;)

6. rd337

rd337 Member

I've got an 81 xj750 seca.
    With pods, fresh plugs, supertrapp 4-1. and being as areodynamic as I could, I managed to hit 200km/h
    It did take a while after 180, but I had a LONG stretch of good road.

7. boldstar

boldstar Member

102mph dunno how acurate the clock is then was only a flick of the wrist the" see what she can do" syndrome then back to 70mph as thats top legal limit in uk

8. johnny77

johnny77 Member

135mph then she started to wobble something fierce. I'm changing to a higher numeric ratio better acceleration lower top speed. 82 550 maxum

9. Special_edy

Special_edy Member

Before I took it apart my Seca 750 got it up to 130. It was down a very slight hill on the highway with a strong wind at my back. I couldnt resist the tempation and it was the only time I ever took the bike above 100. The speedometer is off of another bike(idk what) and it goes up to 160mph.
    Anyways the front tire blew out the next day as I was slowing down to a traffic light. I realized that if I had a blowout at 130mph they would have to hose my remains off the highway(at 25mph it violently tankslapped).

10. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

I really like this article. Most are believable but some are off by a lot. I have seen more the 1 person saying their 550s go 135 its not possible. Fitz can back me up here. Stock gearing i believe they redline at about 110 that's roughly 2300 rpm more over 12500 rpm is a lot for any 10k bike that's a lot of time when running top speed. You can say someone changed the gearing but it would be turning about 3k at 60 that would kill acceleration on a hi rpm motor and there is no way it would pull it. I am not putting anyone down. Speedo errors on motorcycles are bad can be 15 or 20 mph at 120mph. 135mph is faster then most 750s before mid 90s when they really bumped the power on them.

11. aSECAwrencher

aSECAwrencher Member

The 04' Daytona I had was stupid fast. 115HP on a 440lb machine. Never got that one past 120MPH though it tops out at around 145MPH. There is a long strech of usually unadulterated highway heading back into town where I've had the SECA900 (once) at 140+MPH screaming at about 7-8K RMP in 5th before I decided I can't think that fast. Never done it since... Don't think I'm too interested in trying anymore. I give ranges because when I'm going that fast, I don't tend to look at the gauges too much.

12. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

Been riding 3 & 1/2 weeks. Went 107 mph yesterday. Never again lol was a huge adrenaline rush though.

13. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Come on Dave, we would never rub it in your face.............

[​IMG]

14. Special_edy

Special_edy Member

Dont some of the gearboxes have different gearing?
    And dont some of the bikes have 18" wheels versus 16" wheels?

15. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

That's what you think! :lol:

It's easy to creep up to the ton/ton-ten mark once you get used to riding more, just needs care not to do it too often & get caught out by law or luck, as someone once told me "never ride faster than your angel can fly"

16. Demin

Demin Member

Took the 650 out for a test ride.,Buried the speedo.Don't want to break it. Bike's all original,down to the paint.

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Both of my 550s and my Norton also have their original paint and graphics. Only one of my 550s has its original speedo. I need to know how fast I'm going. And I'm not alone.

KAZMAN! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

I did some research, and we can't blame Reagan, it only happened on his watch. The whole 85mph speedo silliness was initiated in the Nixon years through Carter, and Reagan only inherited it. Due to the inherent slowness of the Federal dinosaur, by the time it got enacted, the crisis was over and it was a bad idea to begin with.

We ALL own "over the ton" bikes, regardless of displacement. We're GONNA go more than 85mph, truth be told.

Exorcise the madness, my XJ brethren! Join the crusade! This 85mph silliness must go!

('Tain't hard.)

18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

... unless your gauges happen to be square, then it takes some..modifications. (or a GPS mount on the bars)

19. Demin

Demin Member

I know I wrapped my speedo around and still had another gear and throttle left.I was impressed.To quote Kendall Johnson...If it stands up to my use,it will stand up to other peoples abuse. :lol:

20. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

I hit 53mph with a tail wind last week -- HOOT!