1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast have you gone on your XJ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jon3s3y, Sep 5, 2007.

1. toadjam

toadjam New Member

140 mph on the clock , 1987 xj900f with 52400 miles on her .
    probly 130 and a bit .

2. jpacman

jpacman Member

Don't know how fast I was going since the needle stopped moving past 85 but there was a lot more acceleration after that point. So who knows? Plenty fast for that bike. And yes, new tires and new brakes all around.

When I had the '88 CBR1000, I know I topped 150. That was one of the scariest blasts I've ever done. Full tuck, chin on the tank, feet on the back pegs, elbows pulled in. When all you hear is the wind and not the engine, that's fast.

One thing I've always done with bikes that come into my possession is a radar gun test with a local law enforcement friend. I pass him at a certain speed on my speedometer and then he tells me the actual speed. This way I don't get tagged for doing 40 in a 35. My current XJ is very accurate all the way up to 60mph (within 1mph).

3. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

Had my wifes XJ1100 hitting 132 mph just after we got it. It had a Shoei faring and modified handle bars. I was running uphill on a 3 to 4 % grade with sweeping turns. The bike handled the sweeping turns great I had to keep my head below the wind shield or it felt like my head was going to get ripped off. The PO clamed to hit 148... pulled over by the police and bike impounded. 8o I don't believe that (the 148mph), but the bike is fast!

4. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

On the 750 with the 18 inch wheel turns 4500 at 60 maxims turn a little less then 5k 9k at 120 and 10k for the maxim. 550-650 turn more rpm then that. 15mph per 1k on the seca 750 thats 10000 rpm at 135. Maxim 750 would be 11200 at 132. The 900s and 1100s turn less rpm with more power so higher top speed is attainable The 550 is the only bike you can change gearing on stock gearing 12000 rpm at 132. No manner what your gearing is a bike with about 60 hp gonna be really hard to pull that kind of mph. They are all great bikes but in the early 80s superbikes were topping out at 140 or so.

5. theonewhoisodd

theonewhoisodd New Member

Buried at 85 mph and didn't want to go much faster than that. My 81 XJ750RH started shaking once I hit about 80 and got progressively worse.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I got her "Flat-out" flying down the White Mountain foothills.

The Speedo was pinned at 85.

I'm sure I was doing 3-figures, though.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

8. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

According to police radar and court records 125 in a 35 m.p.h zone !!on my 1981 xj750 rh modefied

Attached Files:

• bike.jpg
      bike.jpg
      File size:
      22.6 KB
      Views:
  9. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

EHS!! Did they rough you up, steal your money, and put you in stocks for the whole community to see?

Took the 550 to Hallett Raceway near where I live and coming down the 4% grade of the long straightaway went 117mph!! Verified using GPS. Of course I finally had it in fine tune, had the best fuel in, proper air in tires (which were rated for that speed), was wearing ATG, waxed everything including my helmet, and was tucked inside my 1/4 fairing. Overall very pleased with my 32 year old Yamaha. Factory top end: 113mph. hmm....E3's, downhill, tailwind?? I don't know. BUT FUN!

10. ElkHavenSeca

This was back in about 1982 when i did this . bike was very hopped up and low miles in a down hill 4 lane road in the middle of the night . . it was a 750 as well which has a little more top end than the 550 but anything over 100 is a rush . Now days the old seca likes the speed limit and 4000 rpm's or less . Oh to be young again .....lol . No they gave me a ticket and let me go that night . things were better back then !!

11. ElkHavenSeca

The kerker header is a double edge'd sword . It really added power to the bike with a rejet but at the same time running hard in the middle of the night the cops could hear me coming and be waiting for me . I must be getting old , as i enjoy just rolling on throttle through the windy turns here on the country back roads now, and have just as much fun . . I seldom get over about 5000 rpm's anymore

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You got my vote!

I never go faster than 95 in a 65 when there is a ticket threat.
    One Summer, I taped a Radar Detector to my helmet and ran an earplug, see if I could break the record from my house to my sisters, over in Saratoga Springs, NY.

The Mass Pike two-laner, from Sturgbridge to Lee is a wide-open-throttle time trial.
    Sleek performance coupes and sedans are left-laneing to Albany; looks like they are actually drafting as they go by.
    When they do, I show the Max the whip and attempt to join the fun; staying-back enough so if I see Break Lights, I can go from all-ahead flank to Ahead-standard guickly.

Sooner of later your "In the beam."
    I was on a stretch of the Pike that's not too far from the New York Thruway toll.
    Alone. Right lane. All mine.
    A Lincoln Mk-5 passes me. He's gone.
    My Radar Detector sounds a short "BRAAP"!!!
    Only that Lincoln up-ahead; so I'll close the distance watching his tail lights.
    Another single "BRAAP". Check my 6 for a trailer. Clear.

Last exit before Toll.
    Lincoln signals for the upcoming off-ramp.
    Move-out to pass the Mk-5 and wave good-bye.
    "BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP"
    I saw the Transmitter in the rear window and a Trooper styling behind the wheel of that Hot Rod Lincoln.
    Hidden lights started strobing. He tapped the siren and it sounded like the basketball game final horn.

He wrote on the ticket.
    Clocked 95/ Hawk Instant-on.

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Did he write himself a ticket too?

14. Billed

Billed Member

I went up to about 160km/h on my Maxim and by that point I thought the wind was going to just blow me off the bike... The perfect bike to follow the speed limit XD

15. spalomo81

spalomo81 Member

170 km/h on my maxim

16. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

as fast as it would go.....and that was fast enough...

17. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Since I'm an old-timer and don't like the thoughts of higher insurance for speeding, I've only had my air head up to about 85. But what a rush to see how quick you can get there. I love doing 9 grand shifts through 1st and 2nd. I can only imagine what it's like to hit 5th at 9000.

18. LayItDown

LayItDown Member

My friend was doing 125- and I flew past him on my xj650

19. LayItDown

LayItDown Member

My friend was doing 125- and I flew past him on my xj650

20. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

8000 rpm in 5th, whatever that adds up too.