1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast have you gone on you're xj?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by joshwxj, Apr 14, 2008.

1. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

Im posting this twice because im surprised how much of a rise RickCo got out of this.
    haha. good ol' west texas winds. I was going north on texas HW207 with a 15mph steady wind at my back and i caught a good draft off the rider in front of me boosting me to 145mph. If you ever get a chance, you should ride that road, not much to look at but its about 30miles straight and flat; some curves and then another 30miles straight. hit Ralls north on 207 and straight up the panhandle. My buddy and i were crusing around 100-115. Its because of that ride that he wants to trade in his 2003 100th Fat Boy for a Ducati, so he can be faster than me, great stuff. Next time i do it, ill get video. I love my seca :lol:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/j ... 1208224264

2. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    the best i did was 85+. that was laying down on the tank with my feet on the passenger pegs. i was headed south on US 283 from Lake Altus towards Altus Oklahoma...

i had to slow down because the little tiny speck in the distance (that i was rapidly gaining on) was black with a white roof. on the roof was a light bar...

i was a patrolman with the Altus pd but i wasnt sure how much slack the badge was going to get me for doing 30 over...

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Member

a small 112 mph is all i could squeeze out of the XJ.
    right now it wont go faster than 96. time for tuning and oil change...

i hit with the zx9r just about 175mph :oops:

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I've had the old Seca over 100 several times to pass trucks on the interstate and get way ahead of them. I often run around 85 when on the super slab to keep from getting run over. PD

5. turbobike

turbobike Member

without turbo, 90mph

with turbo... i'm sure 120 or so, maybe more. i was pretty close to redlining in 5th gear.

6. fwright625

fwright625 Member

I think I may have gone 50 mph. :oops: I'm not sure of what all she can take. (Heck, I'm not sure what I can take for that matter!)

7. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

I'm guessing about 115 mph or so. It's hard to say for sure when your speedo pegs at 85 (thanks, EPA) but tached at the top, a buck-fifteen seems about right.

8. Benny

Benny New Member

My 750 maxim will easy go 100mph (165kph) After that I lose nerve a little. I wouldn't expect much empathy from the cops at that speed. But the fact that is seems enthusiastic about going faster makes me feel pretty rock star about my 25 year old motorcycle.

9. englishsandwich

englishsandwich Member

way past 85, but I don't know with the damned speedo pegging in 4th. What's 7.5k RPM in 5th on xj750 seca?

10. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

Reading this post is making me wonder how accurate my compression tester is. I have an 81 650XJ Maxim and my compression tests out at 100psi across the board (give or take 5psi) and I have no problems cruising at 140km/h (87mph) and I crank her up to 160km/h (100mph) when I need to. I usually have to downshift to 4th to get my momentum then when I hit 9000rpm I shift to 5th and max out around 6000rpm. I wonder what she is going to be like after I do a top end rebuild.

11. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

How about 35 mph? That's got to take the cake for low... now all I need is high, jack and game and I shot the moon. I should probably mention I only had it running for about 30 minutes after a carb rebuild and then tore it apart to chase a valvetrain clatter.

12. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

The speedo on my '81 750 Seca pegs at 85mph. I've taken it to 80 but I can't get myself to push the rpms past 7k. After so many years on a Harley, I just cant stand to hear the engine scream like that.
    Besides this bike is so light that I feel like a feather being blown around at anything over 70mph. (not complaining, I love this little monster!)

Are there any OEM speedos that will fit my panel that go higher than 85? I'm sure the beast is capable of much more than I have asked for.

13. MaximXJ

MaximXJ Member

Wish I knew

85+ and got some crazy vibration

14. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

On my way up to Loudin, last Summer ... I was riding with a mad bunch of sportbike crotch rocketeers.

After paying the tool in NH, I took-off and tried to put some distance on the pack.
    I took the 750 Maxim almost flat-out before getting passed by the pack going real fast.

The consensus among the riders is that I was doing a Buck twenty-five.
    I don't know?
    But, I was in fifth with the Tach in the danger zone.

15. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

well my buddy has a really really fast 1994 track bike that has tones and tones of mods i have the xj550rk my speedo hits 80 i was in fifth gear around 8000 rpm and i still have a sixth gear to go and i was running at 129

last night i was riding from a little town called ARVIN CA to Bakersfield CA and i was testing the acceleration 1000-3000 rpm it has a good pull to it then 4000-6500 rpm it kinda hits a bogging section but once i hit 7000 rpm it wakes up and it roars and i got to hold on i can hit 70 in third gear at 10000 redline the bike hits 12000 but i never take it that high

16. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

ohh i forgot to mention that my buddys bike has a speedo that hits 170 and he followed behind me

17. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

well is there anybody else

18. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

My tach is from over seas with mph toping out at 145mph (on the inside, and kph on the outer region of the gauge.) you can find these cluster on ebay occasionally for not much dough. it was factory in japan on the 81 xj550 secas. it takes a little time to realize your not going 100 but 60mph. it will also be handy for learning the kph to mph ratio. and vise versa

19. SirchNoslen

SirchNoslen New Member

I ran mine up to 90 in 3rd, then got spooked and shut it down cause I'm a giant pansy. Was still climbing like it would never stop but that also could have been part of the fear taking over.

20. organizedinsanity

organizedinsanity Member

Motorcycle speedometers are very inaccurate at higher speeds. Regardless, I do not believe that the stock gearing will allow an xj550 to do 145mph.

I believe a stock 550 wont run over about 115-120. I know for a fact that an 1100 maxim tops out in the mid 130s so I cant imagine the 550 would do 10mph more with half the power.