1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

how many cranks before battery dies?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bbacher, May 14, 2008.

1. bbacher

bbacher Member

My bike still ain't starting, and after checking so many things I'm starting to wonder whether my battery might be the problem. I just read the thread about trying to jump off a car battery, so I'll try that when I get home.

My question: how many times should I expect the battery to "crank" the starter before it dies? (assuming it doesn't start)

I'm getting like 4 good cranks and a few more weak ones before the battery's dead and I have to recharge. I'm thinking it should do more than that?

2. TMHack

TMHack Member

I would say you need a new battery. I can crank on mine for quite a while before it shows any sign of weakness.

What kind of set-up are you running for intake and exhaust? If you have aftermarket parts have you re-jetted the carbs to accomodate?

I'm running pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust and I could not get the bike to start well or run correctly on stock jetting. I purchased the Dyno-Jet kit and have the needles at the 3rd tab and and am using the DJ144 jets.(note: Dynojet jets are numbered differently than stock jets) I finally have the bike running decently but still am having some issues on cold starts. Figured I'd throw that out there since you have the same model bike as I do and any suggestions help right?

But to get back to your question. I would definitely get the battery at least tested. More than likely a large part of your problem.

3. bbacher

bbacher Member

Not the previous owner, but the one before that - he rebuilt the bike and changed a lot of stuff. The stock airbox was changed out for pods, and the stock exhaust was changed out for 4-into-1 Supertrapp exhaust.

Did he change the jets to accommodate all that? I really have no idea and I don't know how to check?

It was running very rich and bogging out (flooding?) under load last Autumn. Over the winter I cleaned out the carbs by following the instructions in the Clymer manual. Now that the carbs are back on the bike and I changed out the blackened spark plugs - I can't get it to start.

The battery checks out at 12.6 volts, but the spark is weak and it only cranks a half-dozen times before I have to recharge.

People have told me that if the battery shows 12+ volts then that isn't the problem - but I really think it might be the problem.

I have thought of buying a new battery but I don't want to spend the money for no reason - but DOH! I hadn't thought of getting it tested. They'll probably do that for me no charge.

4. treybaxter

treybaxter Member

Start with the simplest things first. How's the water level in your battery? Sometimes just a top-off can add a lot of power. Make sure your cells arent dry.

5. bbacher

bbacher Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Water level is fine - I thought of that.

6. TMHack

TMHack Member

Yea most auto parts places will test your battery for you for free. I would do that. Batteries can show 12v and still not hold a charge or have enough power to start an engine.

7. leadboots

leadboots Member

i would say get a new battery. These bikes need a good battery for the bike to run good.

8. bbacher

bbacher Member

Thanks, dudes. I'ma get it checked this evening.

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

A warning to all.
    DO NOT operate your starter for more than a 5 to 10 second burst at a time, you will eventually burn out your starter. Let it rest 30 to 60 seconds between efforts to cool off. On this note, longer really is better (there you go, confirmation) to allow the high current device time to cool down.

And Bbacher, if you topped off your battery, did you use only distilled/demineralized water? If you didn't, you need a new battery.

10. bbacher

bbacher Member

It didn't need any water - it was already at the high mark.

They checked it and told me it was bad. Was it really bad? I don't know but that's what they told me so I bought a new one. It was charging overnight so I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

11. leadboots

leadboots Member

if it was dying that fast then yes it was a bad battery