1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to decide which parts engine to keep

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sevesteen, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

Last summer, I picked up a running parts bike with around 30,000 miles. Ran poorly, covered in oil, and someone had worked on the carbs with...something other than the appropriate tools, several jets were pretty mangled. That engine is currently off the bike and under my workbench with the carbs in muffin tins.

This week I bought another parts bike--this one is an 81, covered in rust, not running and with a license plate that expired in 1985. 6500 miles. Carbs don't have tool damage, but have some sort of gross green goo in the bowls. (I'm guessing congealed gas plus corroded brass). No battery, carbs are now removed, but engine is still on the bike, and pushing it in gear says it isn't locked up.

I've got the parts I wanted immediately off both bikes. I'm rapidly running out of room for bikes and bike stuff. I don't think I need both engines--how do I figure which one is a better one to keep?

2. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Sorry, my only advice is both.

Any kids ready to leave the nest?

3. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

compression test results?

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

There's 23,500 reasons to keep the newer one.

Heck - that's ALL the way 'round the Earth !!

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Gets my vote.

6. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

"keep both" merely delays the question, while taking up space that could be used for another bike.

I've never done a compression test. Considering the engines in question aren't in running condition, what do I need to do first? What about valve clearances--I seem to remember that the 30,000 engine was tight on several valves.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you keep the engine whole it doesn't take up much room. basically the forks frame and wheels take up the space. probably sell some of that stuff here. keep the coils, sell the seat pan maybe, keep the wiring harness for the relays and the TCI/REG.
    remember whatever you throw out is what you'll need :)

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

-the engine doesn't have to be in running condition, just be able to be spun by the starter. It can be out of the bike with the carbs off even.

-tight valve clearances can throw off (cause low) compression readings.

A compression test is the best single way to determine the "viability" of a motor. It gives us a good indication of the condition of the cylinders, rings, and to a certain extent, the valves. It's a good way to avoid putting a lot of work into something that isn't going to be worth it.

9. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

Note my sig line, and add 2 parts bikes. Also note that I only have a one-car garage. Something has to go.

And for some reason whenever I ask if Wife really needs multiple large tubs of yarn or quilts, she reminds me of the bikes--even though the Passport and Savage are actually hers...

I don't know how many times I've tripped over something for a couple years, finally disposed of it, then needed it the next week...

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Maybe get a piece of glass and make a coffee table out of them.

11. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

X2, that's what I'd do :D