1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to get master cylinder apart to rebuild it?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by weoxstan, Aug 9, 2008.

1. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

Ok, so I have the MC off the bike, banjo bolt out, lever off, and cap off. Now what? How do I get it the rest of the way apart?

2. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Take the handle off and you will see the piston. It has a rubber over it to keep dirt out which has a metal ring at the base of it. A new one comes in a kit. Take it out and you'll see a circlip holding the piston in. Get the circlip out and the piston will come out along with the spring and rubber cup.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The biggest problem rebuilding a Brake Master is getting the Circlip holding the Guts in the cylinder out of there.

It's just far enough down into the Cylinder that its out of reach for a set of conventional Circlip Pliers to reach.

So, I went unconventional.
    I grabbed a pair of Needle Nosed Pliers that had seen their day spent a few minutes at the Grinder until I fabricated my own tool specifically for taking-out that Master Cylinder Circlip.
    [​IMG]

You have to remove a good deal from the outside and give the insides some room too.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Or you can buy these!:

bp1) Master Cylinder DEEP-REACH CIRCLIP PLIERS----these special extra-deep 90-degree angled circlip pliers allow you to easily remove and install the circlip (or "c'-clip) that hides way down inside the top of the plunger bore (below the rubber boot). Without a DEEP set of circlip pliers, you're going to fight and struggle with this part of your master cylinder rebuild project. Regular store-bought circlip pliers may have a 90-degree attachment, but unless they are extra-deep like these, they still won't be able to reach that circlip.

HCP1597 Aftermarket master cylinder Circlip Pliers, each:
    $ 28.00

5. flash1259

flash1259 Member

instead of rebuilding mine i found on new on ebay, saved time by not wasting it banging my head on the tool box

6. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

Got it out! I listened to RickCoMatic and ground down some old needle nose. Worked great! While I had it apart I installed the new site glass from Chacal, had to grind it down a bit but I got in it. Waiting for the sealant to cure then I will post how it all worked out.

Thank again for your help...

7. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

This thread was indeed timely. I'm not far behind on mine.

8. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

Just wanted to say thanks! I got it all cleaned out and put back togeter. Sooo much better now. No more squeaking, sticking and the lever fells better too.

Thanks again.

9. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Okay, quick question. The dust boot over the plunger. That *is* supposed to come out, right? I got the top portion of it off the ridge (ripped it slightly in the process, but as was mentioned earlier, another one comes in the kit... right?) but the bottom part doesn't seem to want to do anything. Is it being pinched by that snap ring that seems to be the cause of so much trouble, or is this snap ring on the inside of the boot?

And, since the dust boot is included with the new kit, should I even worry about it at all and just rip the thing off?

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The snap ring retains the boot. Go ahead, have some fun. Rip it apart, you animal!

11. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

[​IMG]

:lol: Hope that helps!

j/k :wink:

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Once the Snap Rings is out ... just work the Guts of the Master Cylinder with your thumb and the whole inside working will come on out.
    Its Spring loaded.
    There an O-ring and the two Seals on the Plunger that need to work their way out the opened-up end.

Mind the Plunger. Note the way its installed and which wat the Seals are facing.

13. eric.jones

eric.jones New Member