1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to inspect the front brakes ? XJ650H

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by radiculopathy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. radiculopathy

radiculopathy New Member

I've got an '81 XJ650H. Never worked on brakes before (car or motorcycle). My question is a basic "how do I inspect the front disc brake pads?" I have a feeling they need servicing because they squeak and rattle a bit when coming to a dead stop. Also, when I jacked the front wheel off the ground and spun it with my hand, there was some friction with the pad. I'm guessing there shouldn't be any friction when the lever isn't depressed. Gotta adjust these things... Bought the bike a few weeks ago. I read the owner's manual and the Haynes but I still can't make sense out if it, maybe because I have no experience with brakes of this kind (only bicycle cantilever brakes). The pictures in those sources suck. Was hoping there was a "how to" somewhere here or online, or someone could post a pic or two with arrow showing me what to look for. I can post pics of my setup if that would help. Thank you

2. radiculopathy

radiculopathy New Member

Also can't check the brake fluid reservoir because one of the screws is stripped and I don't own a drill to drill it out. Most of my tools are in another state so I'm working with the bare minimum. Any ideas without using a drill? I'll probably need to find one to borrow. The view glass to see the fluid level is clouded up with age and not able to see through it....

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The whole front brake system needs to be rebuilt.

Your caliper is dragging because it needs to be rebuilt; and you're going to need to rebuild the master cylinder as well. Caliper and master seals had a two-year recommended lifespan. There's no way to "adjust" anything.

The lines were to have lasted FOUR years; if yours are original they're dangerous. You can't see the deterioration, it's on the inside.

Thirty year old pads are not to be trusted with your life.

Now, about the REAR brake; this is important: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html

For a better idea of the configuration of your particular brake, use the fiche: http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/yamaha- ... ibrand=YAM