1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How To Question Head Gasket

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Blackhammer, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

Head Gasket How To Question

My XJ750 sat outside behind the PO's house for a few years. When I got her 3 years ago, it started dropping oil on the left side. I had the local racing motorcycle mechanic look at it and he said the head gaskets were going. He said the valve cover gasket was OK, and was newer than the head gasket.

Year 2, my left leg gets droplets of oil on it. Year 3, I lose a table spoon of oil overnight on the side stand. Now I am ALWAYS using the center stand.

After the car wreck I was in last fall, this is my only means of transportation. My normal mechanic said he can fix it in August, but I don't want to wait that long. Is there a How To somewhere on changing the Head Gasket? I have never pulled off the gas tank of this cycle yet, but I would like to get her back to full running capacity.

Oh, and by the way, the nuts on top of the valve cover are EXTREMELY rusted, so I figure that there is a strong possibility that they could break.

Should I try this or look for a mechanic to do this?

Thanks

2. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

Sorry, I originally posted this in Modifications

My XJ750 sat outside behind the PO's house for a few years. When I got her 3 years ago, it started dropping oil on the left side. I had the local racing motorcycle mechanic look at it and he said the head gaskets were going. He said the valve cover gasket was OK, and was newer than the head gasket.

Year 2, my left leg gets droplets of oil on it. Year 3, I lose a table spoon of oil overnight on the side stand. Now I am ALWAYS using the center stand.

After the car wreck I was in last fall, this is my only means of transportation. My normal mechanic said he can fix it in August, but I don't want to wait that long. Is there a How To somewhere on changing the Head Gasket? I have never pulled off the gas tank of this cycle yet, but I would like to get her back to full running capacity.

Oh, and by the way, the nuts on top of the valve cover are EXTREMELY rusted, so I figure that there is a strong possibility that they could break.

Should I try this or look for a mechanic to do this?

Thanks

3. olinrj

olinrj Member

Re: Head Gasket How To Question

How mechanically skilled are you? I had to remove the head on my 650 due to a broken exhaust stud and with an extra set of hands it took about 6 hours start to finish. If you have the manual and a decent set of tools, as well as a good reserve of patience it isn't too difficult.

4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

All you need is a good repair manual and some confidence in yourself. If you have a decent tool box don't be afraid to tackle the job. There are many people on this forum that can give advice if needed.

5. MrShake

MrShake Member

I agree, changing a head gasket isn't really that tough if you have the manual and tools. get more detailed on your location, maybe some one is close and can help.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Re: Head Gasket How To Question

I'll agree with olinrj, with some mechanical skills, a good set of tools and some patience, you could knock it out on a Saturday. You should read over the process a few times in the maintenance manual. That should get you familiarized with what you will see and what you might need to perform the task. Have a planning meeting with your helping hands (if you are so blessed), two minds work better together when everyone is on the same page. Lay in a supply of something cool and refreshing and have at it!

***Topics merged by Robert***

7. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

I helped someone replace my car's head gasket before. I have the Yamaha service manual, but I am not impressed with it.

I have been busy recently rebuilding the carbs, replacing the valve cover gasket on my son's CBR600F3, so I would feel comfortable doing it.

Is there a better manual than the Yamaha? (Clymer?)

8. Blackhammer

Blackhammer Member

Mr Shake, I am 30 miles south of Fort Wayne near the Ohio line.

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

For a first time Head Gasket replacement ... I'd recommend the Factory Service Manual specific to your Bike.

The trickiest part of the job is dealing with the Overhead Cams and Valve Timing.

Have a supply of Plastic Wire Ties to keep the Timing Sprockets attached to the Cam Chain and a 5-foot length of Nylon sash cord to tie onto the Chain so it don't get lost down inside the engine ... and the rest is all take-apart and make it clean again.

If you have to take off the head ... considier the mileage on the Bike.
    The additional expense of bringing the Head you took-off to a Machine Shop with a handful of Valve Seals will come back with some Valves and Seats re-faced and the Valve Guides knurled to give you some years of fun for the additional expense of the Valve Job.

While the Head is out ... you can de-carbon the Piston Crowns and shine them up some to be rid of carbon deposits.

If the Head Gasket is leaking you have to suspect that the mating surface of the Head might be slightly warped ... so, the visit to the Machine Shop might not be such a bad idea to guaranty no future problems.

10. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I'm really skeptical that it's a head gasket. The valve cover gasket is notorious for leaking. The oil can run down between fins and look like it came from just about anywhere.

I'd do a thorough scrub down of the engine. Then I'd run it for a bit and trace the oil to where it comes from. I wouldn't put a wrench to it until I was absolutely certain where the leak is.

11. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Do a compression test and see if you have some differences between cylinders. The oil ways are on the right so I dont think they are the culpret. I suspect the valve cover as well. Had the inside fasteners loose on one a few back causing a leak that ran out to the left.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Do a "Torque-Check"
    Following the pattern ... loosen and re-torque the fasteners on the whole Head.

Remove the fasteners and shoot some WD-40 on the threads of the studs and inside the Acorn Nuts.
    Do one at a time until you have the whole Cylinder Head re-torqued down to specs.

Don't forget the ones on the front of the Head.
    Be sure to lay a wrench on those two; too.