1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Howdy Everyone

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by blueridge, May 9, 2008.

1. blueridge

blueridge New Member

Hi I'm the new guy in town, Eric. I live in the mountians of NC. I just brought my "85 XJ700 home today. I found this site a day or two ago. I am sure that I will be posting some questions along the way, as this is my first real street bike. Right now I'm trying to identify the exact model. If there is a site somewhere to decode the serial and engine numbers I sure would appreciate a point in the right direction. I had the bike running the first time that I looked at it after sitting for about a year, and the starter solenoid went when I went back to buy it. For the price I couldn't turn it down.

2. spinalator

spinalator Member

CLICKY

Welcome to the site!

3. blueridge

blueridge New Member

Thanks for the link. It tells me the same that the one on motouniverse? tells me. What I am looking for is the designation. The decoders say it is a xj700. When I look at parts fiche or look for service manuals they ask if it is xj700n, xj700nc, etc. How do I find that out? Thanks for any help.

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

If you can't find a starter solenoid for your bike or don't really want to pay for the over priced stock solenoid, you can use one from a small engine. I have one from a lawn tractor on mine and it works just fine. They wire up the same as the stock solenoid, but are a different shape/size. All you need to do is find a way to mount it to the bike. Mine is just pushed into the stock rubber mount and held in with one of those plastic tie straps
    Most small engine repair shops have them and they are actually made better than the Yamaha solenoid (better quality, heavy duty)

5. blueridge

blueridge New Member

Thanks for the info.