1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

i got pulled over by bigfitz

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by detroitdiy, May 16, 2012.

1. detroitdiy

detroitdiy New Member

ok, everybody knows bigfitz52, but today i randomly met him in person. I was driving my bike back to my shop (only time ive ridden the bike since pulling it apart) and across the median some guy starts waving his hands around, pulls a u-turn to get behind me and tells me to pull over........so i did. In the back of my mind im thinking "how crazy would that be if this is fitz?". Well the man gets out and says "I've never seen a 550 like that!" and I knew it was him. I also couldnt wait for him to tear me a new one about what ive done to the "beloved" maxim xj550 in my possession.

Let me just say I was pleasantly surprised that fitz had nothing bad to say about the bike and he is a very nice guy with a ton of information that he is ready and willing to unleash to anyone with an open ear. We talked for about 10 minutes, he was very enthusiastic about these machines and said he really liked my tank! I assumed he'd have nothing but bad things to say because frankly, i shouldnt even be riding this thing yet, but instead he offered his tools and assistance if i needed.

fitz is a great guy and knows a lot about these, and bikes, in general! Im glad i met him!

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Cheers for Fitz! :beer:

3. Hedley

Hedley New Member

I second the motion, fitz's posts and PMs have pointed me in the direction on many projects. We should all be so lucky to get pulled over by our XJ brother!

4. elGato

elGato Member

haha, Small World!

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks, guys. You're giving me a warm fuzzy here. I think that calls for another Leinie's.

I didn't have anything bad to say about the bike because it's obviously a "work in progress" and quite a good ways along in the direction it's headed. It still has the collector box, so even with wide open carbs, it lights up as soon as you hit the button, and it's a tight motor (11K miles and the valves are in spec.) Sounds healthy. Louder than stock, but not excessively so.

I'm quite impressed (blown away, actually) by the hand-hammered tank; back in the day, many a Norton Interstate tank got "knee dents" and whopping your own personal handlebar clearance pockets into a cafe or road racer tank was de rigeur. I'm very taken by the symmetry of profile and depth of the "hammer job" the very few slight wrinkles just impart a "hand done" look. Considering how "tight" the indents become toward the rear of the tank, the fact that it's hand made rather than stamped makes it all that much more outstanding.

Jolly good work, that's all there is to it.

D-Diy; Likewise, I'm glad to have met you. You're clearly enthused with the machine and eager to learn. Welcome to the ranks. You really are off to a good start; and you actually have a front fender!

Oh, and I don't remember seeing a mirror (I might just be old and missed it,) BUT trust me, you don't want to tangle with the Ferndale PD (I spent a night in their lockup once.) Be careful in the neighborhoods around there, there are some streets actually posted: NO MOTORCYCLES ALLOWED (although some have "hours.")

6. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

How exactly do you have a street with NO MOTORCYCLES ALLOWED (other than some prissy gated neighborhood with serious homeowner's association rules)?

Do they have signs on their businesses that say NO HIPPIES ALLOWED as well?

7. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

OK so you were locked up because.....................?

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Bob,

Being from Ann Arbor, I seemed to remember visiting relatives in St Clair Shores, Grosse Point and Rosedale where there were signs as Fitz describes. We can thank our straight pipe, V twin brothers accordingly.

jeff

very cool to have members meet one another.....

9. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

In Ferndale they encourage hippies.

10. detroitdiy

detroitdiy New Member

No in Ferndale they encourage hipSTERS not hippies...

From Wikipedia:

Hipster is a term frequently used to refer to a subculture of young, recently settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers. Usage of the term reappeared in the 1990s and persists to the present. The subculture is associated with independent music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility, and alternative lifestyles. Interests in media would include independent film, magazines such as Vice and Clash, and websites like Pitchfork Media.[1]

Can't stand 'em....just kidding:)

11. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Lucky you. I would drive out to Michigan for a chance to hang with bigfitz. Hell of a great guy, and knows just about everything on these bikes....

12. commanderdrako

commanderdrako Member

Bigfitz and fellow Mittens maybe we can get together someday.. I live in Shelby Township. I might need your expertise in getting my Maxim X going.

13. warchol2

warchol2 Member

awsome, there seems to be so much michigan here

14. pbjman

pbjman Member

Hey warchol, what's the status of your bike these days? I was in St. Clair today!

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And I probably will be this afternoon!

It's just TOOOO nice outside. Screw the chores, I wanna ride!

16. warchol2

warchol2 Member

awsome! its comming along ok, i broke 2 bolts for the carb boots while taking them off, they are sticking out of the head like 3 threads, going to extract them soon and hopefully that will go smoothly ..

thats my biggest problem other than that im 90% done. but really ill never be done haha. need to bleed brakes and finish seat mounting/ upholstery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ned6x4

ned6x4 New Member

Fitz, what neighborhoods have those signs? I'm right next door in Hazel Park and frequent the Ferndale/Royal Oak area quite often!

18. detroitdiy

detroitdiy New Member

warchol2 cool bike i also used a skate deck but mines a little shorter, just my opinion but yours might look a little better shortened a bit

my bike
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3 ... art=0.html

edit:as far as mounting goes i welded a bracket across so i can use the truck mount holes on the board and then notched out the front so it sits snug under the tank

19. maz43

maz43 Member

I live in Hazel Park (right next to Ferndale) and haven't yet seen one of those signs. What I do see is lots of speed traps on 9 mile through Ferndale to Woodward.
    I like taking 8 mile to Jefferson along lake st clair down to belle isle and back for a nice relaxing cruise.

20. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

aaaand the sign said "Long haired freaky people need not apply", so I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him whyyy.