1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I rode Mine! Biketoberfest 2010

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by dennis, Oct 20, 2010.

1. dennis

dennis Member

I just have to brag a little after seeing how many trailers were in Daytona from a lot closer than me.

Round trip from Toledo, Oh area to Daytona Beach and back Approx 2400 miles and my 1981 XJ650 (maxim) had no troubles at all.

The only modifications to this bike is a windshield and a King queen seat. Not a fancy new custom seat, but an old stock king/queen. I must have had half a dozen people shake my hand for riding her down. They were on custom Harleys, a victory, and a couple of touring bikes.

I rode with my beautiful wife on the back and did 75-80 the whole trip. Other than a sore body the bike ran like a champ.

Next stop. Laconia NH

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Pictures! We want Pictures!

3. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

Congrats man. not to many people will take a ride over 300 miles. That just moved you up a big notch on the rung bar. I hate these freaking "wanabe" bikers on there big geezer glides, that only come out for bike nites and rides on the weekend like its a god damn fashion show.

4. BillB

BillB Active Member

Awesome people to do that together.
    Im starting to feel honored to be riding a 30 year old bike when I see sooo many new cruisers out.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I love the feeling of being 700+ miles from home on my bike; even better when it's an OLD bike (I've ridden the Norton all over the country, just getting the "touring" XJ broke in still.)

You SHOULD feel honored; especially because if one of those new bikes develops a hiccup, where's it going?

Whereas, who fixes yours?

6. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

And yes, thats the reason that carburators > Fuel injection. No computers needed. No smart ass mechanics, just a couple tools, and you can usually be right back on the road.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

THAT'S the other major factor about motorcycle touring on a limited budget: not riding a machine so complex you can't fix it yourself.

The most appealing aspect of the XJ series, at least to me, is the fact that they sit right ON the divide between old-school simple and rocket-science engineering. JUST old enough to escape computer-controlled whatzis and there we go past most of our pay grades, but still have F1-tech motors and the advantages of (relatively) modern engineering (although we won't discuss the electrical system.)

Although I kinda miss the kick starter... A lot of the early Jap bikes had both.

8. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

Agreed Fitz, thats the one thing I wish my XJ had. I'd love it so much more if it had a kick start. Not that my lazy ass would use it, but just cuz It looks Cool On the side i think.

9. schooter

schooter Active Member

I would use the crap outta the kick starter, well ok ill probably say im lazy and when its cold use elec, but when its warm and im riding around id kick it to be a bad ass

10. waldo

waldo Member

Dennis your the MAN!!! I hope you will post some pics of your trip.

11. dennis

dennis Member

I'm trying to get pictures up today. Unfortunatly I didn't take many of the Maxim that are appropriate for this site. (But you shoud see the seat covers ;-)

12. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Thats Awesome. I live about 2 hours from Daytona but I have my bike apart. I have never been to any of Daytonas events. My bike is always apart for the. My dream is to ride accross the country on a bike.... The only othere bike I had that I would have done it on is my ninja ex500. I am always a little hesitant to get on I95 with my xj650. How is it crusing that far with a 5 speed? I rode mine from West coast of Florida to east once and it felt like the longer I rode the better it felt and sound.

13. BIGERN

BIGERN New Member

Awesome!!!!!!!

I live 1 1/2 hrs from Daytona and I rode my hrad tail bobber!!!!!

those harley guys were jealous!!!!!!!!LOL

it seemed everyone there had a glide!!!!who cares right!!!!!

14. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey Dennis
    It's stories like yours that are inspiring me to get my 85 Maxim-X back on the road. I hate to admit it, but it has sat lonely and neglected in the garage since 2003 when I bought a new 04 1200 Bandit. I kick myself now thinking that if just once in a while I rode it up and down the street, changed the oil etc, I wouldn't have near the work ahead of me this winter.
    On the other hand, I get to do some tearing down and rebuilding which is in itself rewarding.

Cheers, Graham