1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

i tried to fix it and made it worse

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by K.J.S., Apr 5, 2010.

1. K.J.S.

K.J.S. New Member

Umm, this threads not going to make me look clever, so there's no point in hiding it lol.

My bike is a B reg (84?) Maxim X. I've been having problems getting it to go.. it started ok, but wouldn't idle and didn't want to rev very high.
    So, someone told me to take the carbs off and clean/inspect them. I was really careful and looked at every part to make sure it was working and put together properly.. but now it won't start.
    It makes massively loud backfires (local dogs love me) and there's black puffs of smoke coming out.
    Can anyone think of a stupid thing I could have done?

2. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

Did you take any jets out? Make sure you didn't switch your main jets for your idle jets when you put the carbs back together.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Welcome to the site !!

There's quite a number of things that can go wrong during a carb "cleaning".
    Floats installed upsidown, jets reversed, diaphragm dislodged. . .
    Then there's your valve adjustment, which is a pain on the "X".

You could start by checking your float/fuel level by putting "pinky" up on the centerstand and using a clear tube on the bowl drain. The fuel level appears in the tube 3 MM below the bowl gasket surface (unless it's different on the "X" ).

Have you done a compression test?? Post the numbers

4. seaguy

seaguy Member

According to some folks the Haynes book shows those air jets for pilot and main backwards. Not sure what picture or diagram they meant so look at the picture rickcomatic posted to be sure you got yours correct.

5. K.J.S.

K.J.S. New Member

Ty for all the ideas
    I didn't take the jets out, so can't be that. I'll try the tube thing and see how that goes
    Umm, compression what? lol. No idea, have to find helps methink

6. yamaman

yamaman Member

maybe you removed the plug wires and returned them to the plugs out of order?

7. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Well if you didn't take jets out, I would doubt just how "clean" you really y your carbs really are. What did you do to clean the carbs? I'm not too familiar with the Maxim-X's but check out RickCoMatic's "Whole 9 Yard" carb cleaning post to see what it takes to get them really clean. A rough idle and hesitation COULD be carb related, but to fix these problems by cleaning the carbs takes complete disassembly and thorough cleaning of all jets, passages, and associated bits.

Note that you may have some minor issue keeping you from starting...but carb cleaning has to be done right to be effective with these carbs.

8. markie

markie Member

Did you actually clean them - or just inspect them?

If it is a "B-reg" are you in the UK like me?

It's possible something else is stopping the bike from starting but if you only touched the carbs - then it's the carbs.

You could try spraying some "Easy start" into the air filter inlet and then see if the bike fires up.

9. K.J.S.

K.J.S. New Member

more ideas, fankyoo.. hmm where to start,
    ok.. don't think the leads are wrong cos it did start once (for about 5 secs and sounded really bad).
    Spose i did inspect more than clean, cos they actually looked really good, so I decided to leave alone.
    I asked a friend and he seems to think there's too much fuel (?) But why?

Oh, & I am in the uk too *waves

10. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Stuck float valve probably.

11. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Stuck float valve probably.

12. dawsoner

dawsoner Member

+1

13. Alchai

Alchai Member

I was under the impression these motors used a "wasted spark". Meaning -- firing order doesn't matter so much since they spark on EVERY stroke.

14. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

One coil sends spark to #1 and #4

The other Coil Sends spark to #2 and #3

15. markie

markie Member

It sounds like the carbs will have to come off again. I'm sure there is a carb cleaning sticky and there are also some reasonable youtube videos of how to clean them. Everything tends to get blocked or gummed up with age. The only way to tell is to strip and clean them fully.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for!

16. Alchai

Alchai Member

17. K.J.S.

K.J.S. New Member

I have an update :) well, maybe not a big smiley update cos it still won't go.

I got some help and it's all in bits again. Apparently there's a bit that plugs a hole when the float bowl is put back (?) Anyway, it might be leaking so i've got some cleaning to do.

Also.. apparently my jet size is a little extreme. I searched here and it seems the standard size is 107? I have a 152.5 - is that way too big?

18. K.J.S.

K.J.S. New Member

It runs again :D :D

ok, end of the :D 's.. cos it runs badly :( . Now it has 110 (?) jets and seems to make more noise. like the air sucking in is louder, maybe it's me?
    using the choke makes the air noise much louder and it stops almost straight away. It still hates revving, just like it did with the old stuff in. Strange

19. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

What's been done to this bike? You mentioned the bike and year, but are there any intake or exhaust mods? Pods perhaps?
    Did you properly clean the carbs? http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2 ... +sync.html
    Do your slides clunk?
    How did you set the pilot mixture screws?
    Have you checked your valve clearances? http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... valve.html
    Did you do a bench synch? http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6 ... +sync.html
    Have you compression tested the engine? http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... +test.html
    Do you have spark?
    Have you searched for intake leaks?
    (all ^^^ not guaranteed to be the same for water cooled engine, but some with an X can chime in and give the differences)

You have taken a bike that doesn't work, and probably sat for years. There will likely be multiple issues with the fuel delivery system, and they will be nearly impossible to troubleshoot. It's best to work through the proper steps to restore you intake, filter to engine. If you do everything right putting it back together, then the troubleshooting can begin. My experience is that these things will "run" pretty easily...but running "right" is a whole different story.

20. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

+1 on Manbot- - have a cigar !!

K.J.S. have you thought that if someone installed a 152.5 jet where a 107 belongs, that the same person may have screwed up your floats, messed with the pilot or main needles, or other mayhem and chaos thru the carbs?? You will need to look at everything, and clean every passage while you're in there.

And how about pictures?