1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Idle trouble

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ChaseP, Jun 10, 2016.

1. ChaseP

ChaseP Member

I got my carb cleaned and rebuilt and it finally starts! The problem is that now the engine revs similarly to a stuck throttle. I don't know how high it revs because the needle is broken and I shut the bike off after a few seconds but I can't figure out whats a matter.
    My hypothesis is that the problem has something to do with the choke plates or diaphragm needle (from linked video) or the air mixture, but too be honest I'm not really sure.
    It is NOT a stuck throttle I have the handle disassembled right now and can see the top of each throttle latch go completely down.
    If a video helps I can make and upload one but it won't be for a bit.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start by telling us how you cleaned the carbs. Did you do a full dissasembly, dip, and replace the throttle shaft seals?
    Did you perform a bench synch?
    Are the intake boots cracked?
    Did you replace the vacuum caps and vacuum line for the petcock?

3. k-moe

4. ChaseP

ChaseP Member

Full dis assembly.
    Soaked the smaller pieces and used q-tips + carb cleaner on the rest.
    Replace the throttle shaft seals with a homemade fiberglass ring (I think we're talking about the same thing.)
    No bench sync.
    One is cracked but its before the fastener, not between the carb and engine.
    The current petcock doesn't have a vacuum line. I should probably get a new gas tank asap.

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

You have to get correct rubber seals...there are no short cuts,RTV,or any other type will NOT work. As to high idle if the butterflys are not centered or the nut on #3 carb is to tight. The linkage should snap when opened and released.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

spray some carb cleaner at the fiberglass seals see if it revs more. no short cut for the correct seals.

seal the crack clean with carb cleaner and use fuel resistant rtv (black) to seal it.

no need of a new fuel tank clean it .many ways to do it listed in info overload it is easy.

and for your petcock remember to turn it off every time you stop riding.

7. k-moe

Guys. The link to his original thread is above. Please post your comments there. The other thread has background info that may be helpful